Friday, March 8, 2013

7 Quick Takes Friday (Vol. 4)

+JMJ+


--- 1 ---
I mentioned last week that I landed a gig babysitting 4-month old twins and guess what: I survived! I took care of them for 23 hours over the course of a few days - with minimal crying and I managed to never get peed on by the little boy during all those diaper changes! Boom. Thanks for all your prayers, friends. I'm feeling pretty good when I think about the fact I'm only having one baby within the next 5 months.

--- 2 ---
Even though we don't have cable, I was beginning to feel as if Michael and I spent way too much time in front of the TV (watching Netflix or Amazon Prime) each evening after our workouts & dinner. Because of this, we gave up TV (including any video games Michael would play solo on his Xbox) for at least 2 weeknights each week this Lent. Even though we've only been doing this a few weeks I cannot begin to explain how rewarding this has been.

--- 3 ---
Inspired by our television-free evenings, we made goals to instead partake in holier (or at the very least, more intellectual) things and focus on having more quality time with God and one another. This week we finally made a long-overdue trip to the bookstore and stocked up on so.many.books we have been longing to read (and then we looked them up on Amazon and realized we wasted money in the store - oops. Never again.). 

--- 4 ---
Not only have our new books rekindled our love of reading each night before bed, but it motivated us to do the one remaining thing that would make us officially "settled" into our apartment together: we organized the entire bookcase! Woo! Even if you think this is super lame, just try and be happy for us because as a neat freak borderline OCD cleaner and organizer this made me so happy.

--- 5 ---
As I prepared to write my post about Total Surrender this week, I listened to several of my favorite songs by Matt Maher. This led me to remember that one of my best friends from college and I spent summer 2011 recording several of our favorite Christian songs and hymns onto a CD for my Goddaughter on the 1st anniversary of her baptismal day. This, combined with my recent curiosity about Movie Maker (I hadn't used it in years & may need to for an upcoming project) led me to do something I normally consider to be what high-schoolers-with-way-too-much-time-on-their-hands do: I made a montage of pictures set to the audio of one of our recordings and posted it on YouTube. I'm officially one of those people. You're welcome (I only ask that you don't make fun of me too much).


So yes, that's my maiden name (since I recorded this before I was married) and that is me singing with my friend, Michael (not my husband - a different Michael). And I guess I'd better get over the impressions I had of those people on YouTube who "clearly have too much time on their hands."

P.S. I managed to sneak in a couple photos I found online of the tabernacle at our parish here in Ann Arbor - St. Thomas the Apostle. See if you can guess which ones they are!

--- 6 ---
Last night I dreamed that we had a newborn baby girl. Two nights ago I dreamed we had a baby boy. At least one way or the other, my subconscious will be correct! Still hoping we can find out at our big ultrasound in a couple weeks.

--- 7 ---
Because my husband and I never know when or where we'll be moving next (see my entry about Total Surrender), we made a very last minute decision to go ahead and plan that weekend trip to Niagara Falls and Toronto we had debated doing back in February (instead of our Chicago visit, which we opted for at the time). This way we know we will have visited while we still live relatively close to the northern US border. So this afternoon we're off to Canada for the first time in my adult life. As the French Canadians say, "adieu!" until next week.

For more Quick Takes head over to Jen's blog!

11 comments:

  1. Yay for organizing the bookshelf! Such fun, such accomplishment! You make me want to go work on mine again. Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it's nice to know someone else out there understands how excited I was about it!!!

      Delete
  2. ahh my neck of the woods! Contact me if you guys need anything :) I'm just outside of Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh what books did you two get?? One our favorite things to do together is read good books together! Right now we are reading Boundaries and Holy Sex. And I totally get you about organizing a bookcase....when we got married and I moved in I had 2 big bookcases full of yumminess:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got Christopher West's "Fill These Hearts," C.S. Lewis' "Surprised by Joy," and Cardinal Ratzinger's (now Pope Emeritus) "Truth and Tolerance." Michael got several Malcolm Gladwell books and some books about investing in commercial real estate or something thrilling like that. :P

      Delete
  4. I love the idea of no-TV nights! I think I can identify with you guys--after having a productive evening of cleaning or exercising or whatever needs to be done, it's a nice treat to relax, and I even still read a little before bed, but you're so right that the time can be spent in better ways. Have so much fun in Niagra Falls, and I can't wait to hear who your baby will be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I'll keep you posted!

      Delete
  5. steph!! you sent me a copy of that CD and I still have it in my car :) my fave is your litany of the saints cover. i think i like it better than MM's version or whoever you covered! i'd listen to it right now except my stereo conveniently died right before Lent. "guess i'm giving up listening to music in the car for lent..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Litany is my favorite thing we did, too. I'm glad you like it! Maybe if I get realllly bored this week I'll post that one on YouTube, too. :P

      Delete
  6. steph!! my brother is in toronto right now too!! if you saw any frat looking boys wearing IU hoodies...that was him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not see him - but if I had seen anyone wearing IU gear you'd better BELIEVE I would have tracked them down and talked to them, haha.

      Delete