Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Baby Bump + the Latest Pregnancy Update

+JMJ+

Now that I'm 20 weeks pregnant (halfway there!), I finally have a few pictures posted in which you can see my "baby bump" (check out my entry about Creating Memories in Cambridge). However, Michael and I have actually recorded weekly photos of my growing bump ever since week 12 (with the exception of week 13 because we forgot - but I looked the exact same as week 12 anyway). I'm sure you've all seen the pictures before - the ones where the woman holds a sign saying how many weeks pregnant she is. This has become quite the trend over the past few years and I've seen pictures like this all over Facebook, Pinterest, blogs, and other various websites.

When Michael and I first decided to track my (our baby's) progress in this way his immediate reaction was to ask, "You're not going to post these pictures on Facebook, are you? Or on Flickr?"

I guess you could say that Michael and I wanted to take photos each week so that we have them to look back on, but we both felt it's a little obnoxious cheesy unnecessary to share them with the entire social media world. There's also something that we both appreciate about keeping certain things a little more private. Luckily for all of you that read my blog, though, we've decided to make an exception and give you a sneak peak!

After all, there's also something Michael and I can both appreciate about getting to share certain exciting, happy developments with other people in our lives. ;) It's all about timing and making sure we feel comfortable sharing news when we decide to share it. And right now I'm more than excited to share these photos with you all!

As you can see, I have progressively looked less queasy and/or uncomfortable with time

So there you have it! As of about 2 weeks ago, our growing baby was finally big enough for strangers to notice that I'm pregnant - and I am finally at the point where I feel like the "cute pregnant lady" some of my friends told me I would be. Call me naive, but I didn't realize that it would take until I was halfway through my first pregnancy to actually feel physically comfortable being pregnant and to have figured out/acquired enough comfortable clothing options. Because of all this, I'm seriously excited to be wearing maternity clothes all the time and have them fit me (rather than being in that awkward phase where some of your clothes fit and you have to constantly buy random pieces of maternity to make other clothes still work).

As many of you may know, we had our "big" ultrasound last week and I'm happy to say that everything went smoothly. We won't receive the full medical lowdown on how it all turned out until our doctor's appointment next week, but based on what the young woman in charge of our ultrasound said and what we saw, I'm not concerned. We got to see close up images of all our baby's body parts (feet, hands, heart, spine, etc.) and they gave us 8 different photos to take home. My absolute favorite is the photo she captured of our baby yawning! It's beyond adorable and makes me smile every time I see it.

Our ultrasound also confirmed something we already knew - that this baby is seriously active. We were told this when the doctor listened to the baby's heartbeat at our last appointment and in the past couple weeks I've certainly begun feeling it. Right now it's still really cute and feels light and fluttery when the baby kicks - so let's just hope and pray that as the baby gets bigger he eases up on the kicking (or that I'll be able to bear the pain without too much complaining).

Yes, you read that correctly. And yes, I meant to say "he."

Our 20-week photo :)

We honestly didn't prefer the baby to be one gender over the other and are happy with what God has blessed us with - but I will say we are incredibly excited to actually know! This has already helped us narrow down possible names (no, we're not sharing that info beforehand!) and start to feel more emotionally connected/ready for him. Plus, now we have no excuse not to start buying adorable baby clothes. :)

I give all glory and thanks to God for blessing us with this wonderful little boy, but I also thank all of you that have sent up prayers for our growing family. May God bless each and every one of you!

"For you will go out with joy
And be led forth with peace;
The mountains and the hills will break forth into shouts of joy before you,
And all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
Isaiah 55:12

12 comments:

  1. Oh, this is so wonderful! Congratulations! And what a 'handsome' baby bump ;-) God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look gorgeous with your baby bump...so exciting...prayers for your growing family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on finding out that y'all are having a son! And goodness you are a glowing and gorgeous mama. By the way, your haircut is also inspirational and quite snazzy. I've been torn between the usual womanly hair dilemma!

    happy almost Friday,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Haha, I got sick of my longer hair towards the end of the first trimester; I think I just needed a change to feel a little more put together after going through that early on "queasy" stage. I totally understand your dilemma, though! I always love getting a haircut but shortly after I'm always wishing my hair was long enough for things like braids, buns, etc.

      Delete
  4. God bless you both!!! Or, should I say all three of you :) this is wonderful! Continued prayers and blessings Steph. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, you are adorable! I know what you mean about not wanting to share these things with the whole world (like, it's exciting to show everyone, but also more special somehow when it's a more limited sense and can belong to you and your family), but personally I am so glad that you made an exception for us!! And how exciting to know the gender now! So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I'm glad you understand what I mean about keeping some things for your family - but I'm also glad we agreed to post it on the blog! It's been so nice to have more people see and know all the changes - everyone else's excitement and kind words just make me even more excited!

      Delete
  6. I've been thinking about you all week, knowing your ultrasound was around this time... and each time I did, I pictured you with a little baby BOY! Wonderful news!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been thinking about you all week, knowing your ultrasound was around this time... and each time I did, I pictured you with a little baby BOY! Wonderful news!

    ReplyDelete