Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Creating Memories in Cambridge

+JMJ+

Last week was one filled with much happiness and excitement! Not only did we have our 20-week ultrasound (there's more to come on that topic in the near future), but it was finally time for our three-day weekend trip to Boston and Cambridge!

As soon as we were married (if not sooner) Michael and I told my older sister and my brother-in-law that we would plan a trip to come see them. Because Michael had never before been to the Boston area, this trip also fit beautifully with our desire to take some fun weekend trips before the baby is born this summer.

Our plane landed in Boston on Thursday night and we were promptly picked up by my sister and my Goddaughter (my oldest niece, S, who will be 3 this summer). Upon arriving at their MIT home in Cambridge we were greeted by my brother-in-law and my youngest niece, E, who will be 1 year old this weekend. Words cannot even begin to express the joy I had in seeing these four amazing people - who I hadn't seen since our wedding in September! I'm pretty sure I would have had a wonderful time even if all we had done was sit around in their apartment for three days playing "bears" or reading stories to my nieces. However, my sister and I had lots of sightseeing planned so we got up early Friday morning - ready to tackle Boston proper.

We began our day with a visit to my brother-in-law's lab where he showed us around and introduced us to the other people he shares office space with (in case you couldn't tell, my family lives on MIT's campus because my brother-in-law is a doctoral candidate there). We then headed to the Boston Common and began following the Freedom Trail.

Although we didn't do nearly as much walking as we did in Canada, we certainly had a full day exploring the Granary Cemetery, Quincy Market, the North End, and making sure the little girls and my pregnant self were holding up alright. I even got my fill of delicious east coast clam chowder at lunch! And you'd better believe we made sure to get cannoli from Mike's Pastry for our Friday night dessert.

Exploring downtown Boston, the North End (Paul Revere's house & Old North Church), MIT, and Harvard

On Saturday my brother-in-law was able to join us and the 6 of us headed over to Harvard Square for lunch and the afternoon. Michael and I ate at the infamous Bartley's, although I am sad to say that our experience there was not nearly as impressive as when I've gone in the past. It was no matter, though, because I simply wanted Michael to have some good food on our trip and we definitely accomplished that Saturday night when we all went out for hibachi.

Although the weekend contained sightseeing, we probably spent half our time simply relaxing and spending quality time together back at the apartment. It's always fun to see how much my nieces have grown (E just started walking last week!) and S had lots of fun asking me questions about the baby and telling me that she loooves her baby cousin already. :) It was also nice to have someone to talk to about pregnancy and baby gear - and my sister basically tripled my maternity wardrobe by letting me borrow the things she doesn't currently wear (talk about a Godsend and money saver during your first pregnancy!). Now as long as we're never pregnant at the same time we can just send our combined maternity wardrobes back and forth to one another! I love having sisters.

I'd simply like to point out that S is "giving the baby a hug" in the bottom left photo

Overall I'd say that this weekend trip has a special place in my heart like no other because of the invaluable time we got to spend with some of my favorite people in the world. In fact, I mentioned in my most recent Quick Takes that it was really difficult to say goodbye...and my pregnancy hormones didn't make it any easier. I love these people so much that I was still bummed all of Monday morning once I was back in Michigan. Thank the Lord for blessing us with things like phones, the internet, and especially Skype! And of course, I thank God for blessing Michael and me with this past weekend together with our family. After all, parting is only sorrowful because the memories we made are so wonderful...and I'm beyond grateful to have Michael by my side, wherever we go.

On that note: our next (and possibly final?) trip before the baby comes will probably take place in late April/early May. We've briefly discussed the possibility of San Francisco or Seattle; do any of you have recommendations for where we should go???

“You can kiss your family and friends good-bye and put miles between you, but at the same time you carry them with you in your heart, your mind, your stomach, because you do not just live in a world but a world lives in you.”
-Frederick Buechner

4 comments:

  1. STEPHANIE. i squealed a little bit when I got to the picture of you and S and your baby bump. SO CUTE :) :)

    i haven't been to san fran or seattle, but my mom tells me all the time i should go to san fran because it's such a fun city. she had college friends that lived there and she and my dad visited a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm glad you like the pictures! And thank you for the travel input! :)

      Delete
  2. Looks like a great trip...I love the city of Boston! And you look so cute preggo :)

    ReplyDelete