Friday, March 29, 2013

Good Friday + The Divine Mercy Novena

+JMJ+

Good Friday is a day of so many things. It is a day on which we hear and recite The Passion and we remember and participate in the sufferings of our Lord. It is a day on which we come to adore the cross and reflect on its significance and utmost relevance in our lives nearly 2000 years later. It is a day of sorrow and waiting for what's to come. I could go on and on, but there is one element to Good Friday that I hope is not overlooked or forgotten:

Good Friday is the day on which Jesus requested St. Faustina begin the "Divine Mercy Novena," so that it would be completed in time for Divine Mercy Sunday.

"Jesus, I trust in You"

I could also go on and on providing background information about our Lord's message of Divine Mercy, the chaplet, the novena, and all sorts of other things Jesus instructed St. Maria Faustina Kowalska to record and then share with the world...but instead I'll leave you to discover (or rediscover) them on your own.

The Divine Mercy is one of my all-time favorite devotions and I fully plan to hang a large image of it in Michael's and my home someday. In the mean time, I'll just keep praying and lighting the handful of $1 Divine Mercy votive candles I stocked up on last year when I lived in a Mexican-American neighborhood in Chicago. 

Michael and I prayed day one of the novena earlier this evening.
Pray with us?


"On each day of the novena you will bring to My heart a different group of souls and you will immerse them in this ocean of My mercy.... On each day you will beg My Father, on the strength of My passion, for the graces for these souls."
-Jesus, speaking to St. Faustina

No comments:

Post a Comment