Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Habemus Papam: Pope Francis!

+JMJ+

We have a Pope! Today Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires became Pope Francis. For some reason I had a feeling we might know by tonight (in the States), but I was still surprised when my older sister excitedly called me yelling, "White smoke! We have a Pope!"

I quickly found a live news feed on the internet and proceeded to go down the chain and call my younger sister with the exciting announcement.

I spent the afternoon going back and forth on the phone with each of my sisters, frantically texting updates to my older sister (who had been out at a park with my nieces and didn't have access to the news), typing the same updates to my husband on g-chat while he worked, and putting my younger sister on speaker phone as we watched the same live news feed of his first public appearance as Pope.


I am very pleased with our new Holy Father because while I may not have known who he was before, I am confident he is the man the Holy Spirit wants for the job. I cannot wait to see what God has in store for us with Pope Francis as our shepherd.

To sum things up, I'll simply tell you to read Leila's brief post about it and say: ditto! I could not agree more with every reason she finds herself liking our new Pontiff more and more. May God bless, protect, and guide Pope Francis and our Church.

"And now let us begin this journey, the Bishop and people, this journey of the Church of Rome, which presides in charity over all the Churches, a journey of brotherhood in love, of mutual trust. Let us always pray for one another. Let us pray for the whole world that there might be a great sense of brotherhood. My hope is that this journey of the Church that we begin today, together with help of my Cardinal Vicar, be fruitful for the evangelization of this beautiful city."

-Pope Francis, shortly after being elected

No comments:

Post a Comment