Friday, April 5, 2013

7 Quick Takes Friday (Vol. 7)

+JMJ+



--- 1 ---
During Lent I completely gave up Facebook. I logged in Sunday night after a long hiatus and what did I find? Well, let's just say I discovered that I dislike the site even more than I did 40ish days ago and I thank God for keeping me away from it all for so long. In fact, I had so many thoughts that I wrote an entire entry about my 40 Days Without Facebook.

--- 2 ---
This week I discovered a new (to me) musical group! Have any of you heard of the Rend Collective Experiment? Their songs about God, being a Christian, and the hope it all brings can only be defined as "worship" music...but they sound similar to Mumford and Sons. Think folksy, borderline hipster music created by a Northern Irish band that isn't cryptic whatsoever about their faith in and love for God. Does it get much better than that?? They have several videos up on YouTube, so check them out if you get a chance. Here's one tiny sample of their sound:


--- 3 ---
Michael got the "official" clearance to finish out his current work project until July, aaaaand he was also informed that he will now be a Team Lead! This means we'll most likely be in Ann Arbor at least 3 more months (if not longer - because they'll only officially say July for his portion right now, but the project in its entirety is scheduled to last until December 2014) and he will soon be overseeing/managing 10-20 other engineering consultants! My husband has been so modest about this promotion but I'm so proud of him and feel like shouting it from the rooftops! When he transitioned from full-time engineering to consulting he hoped to become a Team Lead in 3-4 years...and he's only been at it for a year and a half. So what can I say? To quote one of my friends, he "is the bomb dot com!"

For now we are here, he has a new title that will look great on his resume, and I'm excited to see where God leads us next.
--- 4 ---
In light of all these job updates (and realizing we could be here awhile), we have finally decided to buy a desk! It may not sound exciting, but this was a piece of furniture we'd been holding off on simply because we could live without it until we move somewhere new (less furniture to move = a good thing!). But we're starting to realize just how helpful it would be - especially in terms of organizing our nook that contains our bookshelf and all our office supplies. So this week we headed over to Ikea and found this beauty:
Ikea Micke (black-brown) with integrated storage
This has everything we were looking for because we wanted something inexpensive, light (easier to move!), big enough for our printer and laptop (but doesn't take up a lot of space in an apartment), a drawer (this one is huge), and ideally some additional shelves/drawers/storage. Basically we needed something cheap (but not totally ugly) to get us through our future apartment years until Michael stops consulting and we get a house. This desk is genius because from the front you can't see the back two storage compartments...and considering this apartment has z.e.r.o storage this will help us conceal some things currently sitting on the floor in the nook. Ikea, for the win!

--- 5 ---
I have officially gained 21 pounds in 21 weeks of pregnancy. Does anyone else think that's neat in a mathematical, nerdy way? Also, who knew I would ever feel so comfortable gaining weight? I guess when you truly focus on it being for the health of the baby (and I know I am eating healthily and the doctor says I'm right on track) it really isn't a big deal. I definitely feel blessed to have everything going so smoothly! Thank you, everyone, who has been praying for our growing family. :)

--- 6 ---
Last night we attended i.d.916 - a Catholic young adult group for southeastern Michigan - for the second time. I must say, I'm so grateful for the blogosphere because my husband and I literally live less than 10 minutes from Domino's Farms (where i.d.916 meets) but until Patty mentioned it on her blog we had no idea this gem of a group existed! Even though our own wonderful parish has an active young adult group, Michael and I have only managed to make one good friend there so far (I know, I know...it takes time and effort). I.D.916 on the other hand, is a huge gathering (of at least 100 people) who meet once a month and there are other married couples that attend! I'm hopeful that once I can get involved with a small group we'll start meeting a lot more people we can regularly share community with.

--- 7 ---
This Sunday is the Feast of Mercy!
This Sunday (Divine Mercy Sunday!), April 7, will be the one year anniversary of my husband entering fully into the Catholic Church! He went through RCIA and was baptized, confirmed, and received first communion on last year's Easter Vigil. I can hardly believe how time flies! He has been Catholic for a year, we've been married a little over 6 months, and now I'm almost 22 weeks pregnant! God is so good. So very, very good. And in the spirit of this Easter octave, I'll also add that Christ is Risen! Alleluia!





As always - for more Quick Takes head over to Jen's blog!

8 comments:

  1. Ooh, Divine Mercy Sunday is this weekend! A good friend of ours is entering the Poor Clare convent in our area at the vigil - please pray for Anna S.!

    I liked your Facebook post (and completely agree with it) so much so that I gave you a shout out on my blog! Thanks again for writing it =) God bless you!

    http://theselittleblessings.blogspot.com/2013/04/7-quick-takes-vol16-link-up-alert.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just LOVE Divine Mercy Sunday! What a beautiful, merciful, hope-filled day. Thanks so much for the shout out on your blog - I really appreciate it! :)

      Delete
    2. P.S. I'll make sure to pray for your friend, Anna S.!

      Delete
  2. I have it on my agenda to get involved in the married women's small group, but haven't this semester because of my class schedule. However, I'm on their e-mail list and I could give your info to the gal in charge of it. Maybe we could go together some time:)

    I'm glad you and Michael came last night, but bummed we didn't run into each other. Thanks for the e-mail, I replied back. Hopefully soon the 4 of us can get attend together. Oddly enough, we don't know tons of people there either, but still really like going:) have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got your email and responded! I'm seriously excited about all of this! I signed up for the women's small group last month, but I haven't heard anything from them yet. Perhaps they'll reach out once they've met this month and discuss the restructuring that was mentioned last night? If not, I might just need to get the contact info from you & follow up. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. Congrats to your husband, and I'm glad you found a group where you have found "Kindred spirits" (to quote Anne Shirley). That's a great gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm so proud of him! And thank you for reading! :)

      Delete
    2. P.S. What a great character to quote!

      Delete