Friday, May 10, 2013

7 Quick Takes Friday (Vol. 12)

+JMJ+


--- 1 ---
I opened up my Bloglovin' feed today to see someone's "7 Quick Takes" post at the top. I began chuckling to myself thinking, "this poor girl is confused - she is a day early!" Then I paused and realized...today is Friday. What? Clearly this week has been a bit of a blur for me.

--- 2 ---
Have you heard of StrangeNotions.com? It's a new website (just launched this week!) for dialogue between Catholics and Atheists. The site was founded by Brandon Vogt and certainly does not hide the fact that its founder is Catholic, although with time there will be more authors representing the atheist viewpoint as well. The site is filled with Catholic answers and discussion topics to be respectfully had with atheists, agnostics, or anyone dealing with the "big" questions in life. Check out the trailer and pass it on to any of your friends who are seeking Truth (or want to better learn to explain or share it with others)!




--- 3 ---
The Feminist, Pro-Father, and Pro-Child Case Against No Fault Divorce is an interesting read I found on Public Discourse this week. You should probably read it. And then if anyone can explain to me why we still have no fault divorce (in every state!) I'd love to hear people attempt to justify it and claim that it's somehow a good thing for our marriages and families.

--- 4 ---
This week I discovered the BEST.PREGNANCY.SNACK.EVER! Hold onto your britches, because it sounds really weird, but please trust me when I say that it's not (although I am pregnant so who knows if it's really a weird combination?). Anyway, I found it online so clearly I did not make this up on my own, but you should seriously try some cottage cheese + granola. Cottage cheese is a vastly underrated food in terms of its health benefits (especially for all you pregnant ladies) and you can use whatever delicious granola your heart desires. I've been using a honey, oat, and almond blend and it's pretty much the best food I've eaten all week. The combo of these two foods gives you a lot of protein and is very filling, so it's quite helpful in keeping off that extra, unwanted baby weight. So go sprinkle some granola on your cottage cheese, stir it up, and enjoy!

P.S. My husband hasn't tried it, but considering the baby starting kicking furiously while I was eating it for the first time (instead of happily kicking whenever I finish a meal), I'll take it as a sign that this snack is a real winner.

--- 5 ---
This week I had wayyy too much fun finishing up our baby registry. Obviously I'm pregnant so it's been hard to think about much other than babies (adorable babies!) lately, but now that I've discovered all the cute clothes, toys, nursery decor, and gear we want I'm over the moon thinking about adorable, little baby things! I'm going to assume this is normal and that I'm not crazy.

--- 6 ---
Not only did I discover my new favorite pregnancy snack this week, but I also discovered my new favorite health & beauty product: coconut oil! Now, I had heard of using this stuff on your face or in your hair for various health and beauty-related purposes, but did you know that it makes (in my opinion) the best, healthiest, and cheapest eye make-up remover?! Who knew?! 

I ran out of my beloved, hypoallergenic, oil-free Almay eye makeup remover pads this week (truly a great product) and decided to do some research to see what else is out there. I had started using honey as a face mask (another wonderful, natural beauty product!) during pregnancy and as I read some more about it this week on Laurel of Leaves I saw her blurb about coconut oil as eye makeup remover. I bought a big jar of organic coconut oil for $9 and I'm pretty sure it will last me at least 5 years if I use it only for this purpose. Talk about a win-win for my skin and my wallet!

--- 7 ---
This week I made a lot of exciting discoveries - an amazing pregnancy snack, a wonderful health & beauty product, and now...an amazing Tumblr blog called: The Pregnant Husband. This man chronicled his wife's pregnancy through funny GIFs to describe each situation and I easily wasted more than 30 minutes scrolling through and literally laughing out loud when I first found it. If you go check it out I don't think you'll be sorry. Here's a little glimpse to get you started:

Talking to my pregnant wife the morning after she made some five or six trips to the bathroom during the night:


Happy Friday, everyone! For more quick takes, head over to Jen's and enjoy the fun!

4 comments:

  1. I've been putting coconut oil all over my increasingly itchy growing belly every night before bed and it's been way more soothing than lotion! So there's another purpose for ya, though it might cut down on the five-year shelf life...have a good weekend, Steph!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! I've been doing alright with lotion, but that's really good to know!

      Delete
  2. The cottage cheese and granola sounds like an awesome snack!! I can't wait to try it! I'm also 28 weeks pregnant, so maybe it appeals to me for that reason too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! I just read yesterday (I don't know how I never thought of this on my own) that another great mix-in with the cottage cheese and granola is a handful of berries. Yum! Delicious AND nutritious.

      Delete