Friday, May 17, 2013

7 Quick Takes Friday (Vol. 13)

+JMJ+


Linking up with Jen like every Friday!

--- 1 ---
Kermit Gosnell was convicted. I am grateful to know that he was found guilty for several of his heinous crimes, although part of me feels a little downtrodden simply because there are so many other people out there who kill babies (in utero) every single day...and they're "allowed" to in this nation. But, let's focus on the positive here! Some justice has been served and I pray that this case has opened the eyes of many - especially individuals who consider themselves "pro-choice."

--- 2 ---
On a related note, this piece I found on Public Discourse is worth a read: Kermit Gosnell and the Logic of "Pro-Choice." Here's a little snippet for you:
In statements issued immediately after the Gosnell verdict, the slave-dealers’ lobby—Planned Parenthood and NARAL Pro-Choice America—reacted as though the real problem with Gosnell is that he preyed on women and endangered their health. To be sure, he did just that. But Gosnell victimized these women as the logical extension of these groups’ moral reasoning and public policy goals, which they have advocated for decades. They have devoted themselves to teaching American women that their unborn children simply don’t count in any moral calculus, and horrors like Gosnell’s clinic are the fruit of their diligent work.
--- 3 ---
A final thought on the Gosnell topic: let us pray for him and all others supporting or even working in the abortion industry. Let us pray for their change of heart and true conversions rather than speaking negatively about such people or wishing bad things upon them. Because otherwise what kind of pro-life people are we? Every life is precious and every life has the chance to repent and do good in this world. If you don't understand what I mean (or simply want more on the topic), check out this think piece by Abby Johnson.

--- 4 ---
Now on to lighter topics! :) After literally months of me telling my dear husband that he should get a pair of glasses (to act as back-up for his contacts) he finally agreed to do so! We've looked at frames for him in the past, but last night he actually said he wants to go get some today. Unfortunately, he was prompted to decide this because his allergies have been insufferable this spring - which has made him realize it would be good to have a pair when his eyes are constantly irritated. So "boo" to allergies and my husband having to deal with miserably high pollen counts...but "yay" to getting him some semblance of relief through eyeglasses! He knows I've been rooting for this for awhile because even though I think he looks handsome all the time, he seriously looks good in a pair of glasses, too.

--- 5 ---
What's new on the pregnancy front? Not too much other than starting to actually feel like I'm in the third trimester, going to the hospital for my glucose test this week (I always heard that stuff tastes nasty but they actually had decently flavored drinks for me to choose from so it wasn't bad at all!), and when I thanked Michael for doing all the driving when we went to Ohio for Mother's Day last weekend his response was, "you're welcome. I don't think I had much of a choice because you complain [about back pain] all the time." Hey, at least he's honest and still offers to drive me around a lot. He's a keeper and I love him. :)

--- 6 ---
Oh, and the most exciting pregnancy-related thing to happen this week was the fact that I got 2 new pairs of sandals! This sounds vapid and shallow, but anyone who has been pregnant understands that what I mean to say is, "I got 2 new pairs of footwear that actually fit my swollen feet and don't make me feel like I have to sit down after 5 minutes of walking!" This makes me (and my feet) very, very happy. Here's what they look like:

Merona "Essie Woven Upper Slide." Target: $19.99
Comfort Plus "Lucca Ornament." Payless: $19.99 (on sale!)
Everyday/casual wear on the left and dressier (good for church and baby shower?) pair on the right. I made sure to get sizes that give me some extra room to grow swell even more so I should be good for a little while now that the weather is (mostly) nice enough to wear sandals all the time. I also read somewhere that shoes with slight heels and good arch support are better than flats in pregnancy (which I can now say from experience is true), so I'm pumped to have some options that follow these guidelines in addition to having my Merrell's for walking. Do any of you have a favorite "pregnancy" shoe or sandal? 

--- 7 ---
I mentioned in my post about the Ford Museum that Michael and I want to go to Mackinac Island...and we've decided to go this weekend! We've been trying to figure out when to go for awhile now but we have several busy weekends coming up in the near future (family members' graduations, the baby shower, etc.) and we want to go before the baby comes (and preferably while my bump is still smaller/more comfortable) so this weekend it is! We're only staying for one night so it will be a quick trip - but it's a small island and at least we'll be able to feel like we've soaked it in and crossed something else off our "Michigan to-do" list before we have the baby. I'm so excited for this mini-vacation!

Have a great weekend, friends!

5 comments:

  1. Congrats on your new shoes, Stephanie! Have fun on your next adventure! Your post about the Henry Ford Museum and exploring where you live hit home (again) because of the way we have lived in our various homes. We devoured Atlanta and Delaware and Philly and all of Europe, etc. It's a good way to live life in general--you never know how long you have somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think living life never knowing how long you'll be somewhere is a great way to live. I plan to maintain this mentality even once we settle somewhere just so we always make a point to have adventures and explore new things! :)

      Delete
  2. http://www.sasshoes.com/main/view_styles.php?catid=2&prodid=54

    This is very similar to what I wore most of the time during my pregnancies - that or good tennis shoes worked best for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just stopping in to say hi! I found your blog through Caitlin's and I love that you start each post with JMJ! My mom used to do the same thing whenever she wrote anything :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I just checked out your blog and started following you on Bloglovin'. :) I like to start each post with JMJ and I say a pray to the Holy Spirit. I've found that it really helps me convey what I want to remember and live better (the positives, gratitude, etc.) than if I just sit down and start writing (those usually come out as negative rants haha). Even when blogging I need God's help!

      Delete