Friday, May 31, 2013

7 Quick Takes Friday (Vol. 15)

+JMJ+


Check out Jen's blog for more quick takes from others!

--- 1 ---
Now that I'm in week 29 of pregnancy I feel hungry all the time. I remember feeling this way towards the end of the first trimester and I'll admit that currently I don't feel nearly as ravenous as I did back then, but I can still tell we've entered into another "major growth" period. 

--- 2 ---
I've been very conscientious of choosing snacks that are healthy and more filling so I (hopefully) don't overeat and take on much unneeded weight (I already know I'll be pushing that 40-pound recommendation for women who started their pregnancy at a low weight but I want to make sure the pounds I'm gaining are healthy). Some of the common snack choices I currently make are: yogurt, bananas, cottage cheese + granola (delicious!), apple slices + almond butter (simply because we tend to have that and not peanut butter in our pantry), oatmeal, trail mix, crackers + tuna (only once or twice a week, of course), a variety of smoothies, and spinach-leaf salad with almonds. Do any of you have other healthy snack ideas for pregnancy? I'm always on the look-out for new ideas!

--- 3 ---


Michael and I realized this week that we need to learn some DIY frozen yogurt recipes. Believe it or not, my husband has more food cravings (especially for sweets) than his pregnant wife and lately - probably because of the evolving weather - he always wants to get ice cream after dinner. However, this past week the couple of times we went out for dessert I successfully talked him into getting frozen yogurt with fruit toppings instead because I know that I'm already going to gain about a pound a week from here on out and don't want to be gaining much more than that if it's unnecessary. Plus, fro-yo is delicious...but it is expensive! So thank you, Pinterest, for existing. I've already found several recipe ideas! Do any of you have a favorite homemade frozen yogurt recipe you'd like to share??? I'll keep you posted as we try to make our own.

--- 4 ---
While I was scouring Pinterest for frozen yogurt recipes I got distracted (of course) and began looking at other pins...and I found this handy source for praying novenas! PrayMoreNovenas.com delivers monthly novena prayers to your email inbox so that you can join in one novena per month and not miss out on novenas for major feast days. How awesome is that? I found it just in time to begin the Novena to the Sacred Heart which ends in time for June 7 - this year's feast day. Pray with me?

--- 5 ---
Speaking of the novena, are you familiar with the promises and graces associated with a devotion to the Sacred Heart? I knew it was supposedly a pretty powerful novena and devotion, but never before had I prayed it or looked into it (there's always a new prayer resource to discover in Catholicism!). I'm so grateful I found that novena website when I did and finally learned more about the Sacred Heart of Jesus! Ironically enough, I had just been talking with my husband about the Sacred Heart about a week ago; God's timing is truly providential, is it not? I want to begin incorporating this devotion into our home. 


--- 6 ---
This week I discovered two exciting things! 1) I was nominated for the Very Inspiring Bloggers Award! This means I wrote a response piece in which I nominated a few bloggers who inspire me. You should check it out and visit the blogs of all the lovely ladies I nominated if you get a chance. 2) My readers can get a discount on lactation cookies! If you or a loved one you know plans to breastfeed at any point you may want to check the offer out here

--- 7 ---
Today Michael and I will be driving to my hometown in Indiana because tomorrow is the day of the baby shower!!! Words cannot express how happy I am at the thought of seeing some of my closest friends and finally getting to celebrate this pregnancy and our baby boy with people I love (other than my husband, of course)! Plus, I haven't seen my mom, younger sister, or my grandmother (all of whom will be in attendance) since Christmastime. I cannot wait! 

I hope you all have a great weekend!

10 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful shower. I have never heard of lactation cookies. Perhaps they old be good with some fenugreek tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had never heard of them until very recently either...and I didn't know about fenugreek tea until you just mentioned it. I have so much to learn! :)

      Delete
  2. thank you for putting the link to the novenas, it's just what i need right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been eating tons of hard boiled eggs and homemade popcorn for snacks, and have been adding avocado to practically everything for some extra fats and calories; it's probably ridiculous how much I have them, but I just love 'em. One of my favorite salads for summer is black beans, corn, red onion, tomato, and avocado. We just make a big batch to keep in the fridge and I have a little bowl when I'm hungry. So excited for your baby shower; have so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks for all the new ideas! They sound delicious!!!

      Delete
  4. I signed up for the Novenas and I will ask my chef best friend I'm visiting this weekend about fro-yo recipes--she's been making a lot of homemade ice cream lately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome!!! I can't wait to get more recipe ideas!

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful link for novenas! The novena to the Sacred Heart is beautiful, I'll be joining you in prayer! There is also a consecration to the Two Hearts where you display the images in your home and consecrate your home and family to the Hearts of Jesus and Mary. Here's a link for a consecration you can pray http://www.holyreflections.com/Extras/Extras2/TwoHearts.html. God bless you and your beautiful growing family! Thank you for your witness of faith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your food tips! I haven't eaten cottage cheese in years and forgot that that's a good one! I'm going to have to pick some up on our next grocery trip!

    Please share if you find a good frozen yogurt recipe!! That is one of my favorite treats! :)

    ReplyDelete