Friday, June 14, 2013

7 Quick Takes Friday (Vol. 17): Ann Arbor Photo Edition

+JMJ+


Head over to Jen's for some more Quick Takes!

--- 1 ---
I realized this week that I can't think of much to say. Sure, I could go through a list of things I've accomplished this week or highlight my new maternity swimsuit (I'll save that for next week) that I was so excited to purchase...but this 31st week of pregnancy has been mentally/emotionally draining (you other mamas know what I mean!). So instead of trying to make my brain do too much, I'll simply give you a post full of photos. The only thing that came to mind was to highlight a few of Michael's and my favorite places in Ann Arbor...so until next week I hope you enjoy this random assortment of photos I found online. :)

--- 2 ---
Source.
This is our church, St. Thomas the Apostle, which many of you already know I'm in love with. I love many, many things about this parish beyond the impressive, stone architecture but just take a moment to bask in that beauty.

--- 3 ---
Source.
This is a photo from a park near us - Gallup Park. Michael and I have spent many a spring or summer evening walking some trails at this place either before or after dinner. You can also rent kayaks and canoes here!

--- 4 ---
Source.

Clearly this is the Ann Arbor Farmer's Market. We began frequenting this place last spring whenever I would visit (back when we were engaged and in a long-distance relationship). It's open on Sundays and is literally a few, short blocks down the road from our church. We used to (and sometimes still do) take a walk after Mass just to check things out...although I don't think we've bought anything here a single time yet.

--- 5 ---
Source.
Cherry Republic is a shop downtown that sells all things cherry-related. And not just any cherries...we're talking Michigan cherries. I've honestly never been too enamored by cherries in general, but this place sells some amazing goodies like cherry salsa, cherry cream soda, chocolate-covered cherries, and much, much more. One of the best parts? They always have free samples - which makes it a lovely shop to stop in if we are ever taking a leisurely walk downtown.

--- 6 ---
Source.
This place is called Bubble Island - and while we don't particularly care to spend time sitting down (it's located on South University Ave. and is always teeming with students) we have stopped here several times to purchase some bubble tea or mochi on the go. If you like bubble tea or mochi (although we have plenty of Asian markets where you can buy mochi that's just as good or better), you'll like this place.

--- 7 ---
Source.
The Arboretum is...huge. It's a great place to picnic, walk/hike/run trails, sit by a river and feed ducks or geese, or simply enjoy the outdoors. They have a large peony garden that we have yet to see in bloom, so perhaps we'll make another trip here soon.

And that's all she wrote! I hope you all have a great weekend.

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE Michigan cherries! (I'm originally from WI, and my family bought Michigan cherries every chance we got!). Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So delicious! My husband and I are contemplating heading to Traverse City for the 4th of July when they have their annual Cherry Festival. Yum. :)

      Delete
  2. My husband and I have contemplated visiting Ann Arbor before, and I think you just sold me! Bubble Island and Cherry Republic will definitely be on the list if I do :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could help! It really is a nice "small city." If you like the outdoors there are several parks, the arboretum, and botanical gardens. If you like good ethnic food there are several options - Middle Eastern, Thai, Indian, Italian, Chinese, Japanese, etc. And if you like farmer's markets you should check that out - it's in a quaint part of downtown called "Kerrytown" that is considered the historic district...which is also where our church and the infamous Zingerman's Deli are located. :) The fanciest restaurants and some breweries are up and down Main Street & if you want a taste of the college part of down you should walk up and down State Street & South University.

      I hope you get to come visit this summer or early fall when everything is in in bloom! :)

      Delete
  3. We just spent all day yesterday in Ann Arbor...have you you two been to the Matthei Botanical Garden's. It's near Christ the King and is free! We had a blast:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, yes we have! We literally live down the road from there. :)

      Delete