Friday, June 21, 2013

7 Quick Takes Friday (Vol. 18)

+JMJ+


As always, for more quick takes head over to Conversion Diary with Jen!

--- 1 ---
Yesterday I wrote a couple entries (Part 1 and Part 2) about my experiences forming friendships after getting married. If you read part 2 you know that my friend, Stephanie, and her family could use some serious prayers in this unforeseen time of loss. Please say at least one, quick prayer for them!

--- 2 ---
I'm tired of people claiming that the Catholic Church is somehow imposing its views on society in this whole marriage debate. Anyone who thinks this clearly doesn't understand what the word "impose" means and should check out this concise explanation from Leila at Little Catholic Bubble. She hashes out an explanation of the word as well as why this is a ridiculous claim - and highlights who is actually imposing their views on society in this debate.


--- 3 ---
Do you like traditional or classic church music? Have you heard of either De Monfort Music and/or the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist? I've highlighted our very own Ann Arbor Dominicans on here before, but this time it's to make everyone aware that they are releasing a CD of sacred music on August 13! I simply cannot contain my excitement! Here's a little sneak peak for anyone that may be interested (bonus - you also get to see inside their gorgeous chapel in this video):


I attended a retreat hosted by these lovely ladies back in December and they truly are immensely joyful witnesses of God's love for the world. You can pre-order one of their CDs by clicking this link!

--- 4 ---
Did you hear the breaking news from the Vatican this week?! The 2nd miracle of Blessed Pope John Paul II has been approved! This means his canonization is surely on the horizon! I am so so happy! +Blessed Pope John Paul II, pray for us.+

--- 5 ---
Some of you know that my oldest niece and Goddaughter (who just turned 3 years old last weekend!) is basically a little saint in the making, but for those of you who haven't had the pleasure of hearing any adorable stories about her, you're about to get a taste. My older sister shared this conversation she had with her eldest daughter on her Facebook wall this week. Brace yourself:
My niece: I love God. God is the bester of all. Mommy is best, but God is bester.  
My sister: That's great, honey. It makes God happy when you love Him.
My niece: Yes, but even if He's happy, He can't clap His hands. Because bread doesn't have any hands.
If you aren't dying of cuteness right now, you should probably head to the doctor because there may be something seriously wrong with you.

--- 6 ---
Last week I finally purchased a maternity swimsuit! I had been searching far and wide before eventually pulling the trigger...and I'm pleased to report that I am very happy with said purchase. I was very hesitant about ordering anything offline without being able to try it on so I opted to only look at stores in my area that have maternity swimsuits in stock (a wise choice considering I thought I'd wear a small top per usual and that was definitely not true). I got both of these Liz Lange pieces from Target:

Tankini Swim Top, Black Paisley ($24.99) + Swim Skirted Bottom ($19.99)
Initially I was looking for something a bit brighter/lighter (I can't believe how dark all the swimsuits I found were!), but this top and bottom are plenty feminine, fit well (with room for my belly to keep growing), and definitely serve their purpose - so I've been able to enjoy a few afternoons at the pool.

--- 7 ---
Parmesan-crusted on the outside, mozzarella and pesto on the inside

Last night I made this delicious grilled cheese recipe and paired it with tomato basil soup. It was phenomenal - and my husband loved it, too! It was so delicious I felt I had to share. If any of you try it out, let me know how you like it. :)

Have a great weekend, friends!

14 comments:

  1. I could barely stomach anything besides grilled cheese when I was first pregnant...I may have to return to that theme and try the pesto version; that looks delicious! So excited for JPII's canonization--my baby's due date is the week of his feast day and possible canonization, and in honor, we are pretty settled on making John Paul his middle name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, that's so exciting about the timing of your baby's due date! At my baby shower all of the guests had to come up with name suggestions for us and the one I chose as the "winner" got a prize. One of the girls came up with "John Paul" and I chose it as the winner...but don't worry, we don't actually plan to use it. ;) I do love that name, though! Excellent choice!

      Delete
  2. That grilled cheese with pesto is a great idea! I made some pesto chicken for the first time a few weeks ago, and when my husband got home he said, "It smells like a restaurant in here." which means he was looking forward to trying it. haha. I'll definitely be trying that grilled cheese soon.

    I hadn't heard that the 2nd miracle was approved. That's awesome!!

    And your Goddaughter...that convo is too cute for words. Thanks for sharing.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, when we sat down to dinner my husband said, "it smells like a pizza!" He loved it. :)

      Delete
  3. I love sacred music and have been starving for some recommendations, thank you!

    You are going to be a BABE in that maternity suit! You and your little muffin have some fun in the sun :)

    I'm pretty sure my hubby would die over that sandwich, so I'll be adding it to my upcoming meal planning list! Gracias!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! Have you heard of the other recent CD De Monfort music helped produce? It was recorded by the Benedictines of Mary, Queen of Apostles and is an Advent CD. Obviously a little early for that this year still, but it's lovely when right season rolls around. It's called "Advent at Ephesus."

      And thank you! :) It's been so nice to have something to wear so I can actually enjoy some of this summer weather!

      Delete
  4. The story of your niece is so incredibly adorable! My niece is 1 and just watching her fold her hands during prayer, attempt the sign of the cross, and say "men" aka Amen melts my heart each time. That grilled cheese looks amazing, pesto is soo yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your niece sounds so adorable, too! My other niece (the younger sister of my Goddaughter) is almost 15 months and her first word was "Amen." They are just so precious.

      I hope you like the grilled cheese! I know I loved it. :)

      Delete
  5. Oh that grilled cheese looks absolutely amazing, and me and the baby can't get enough of cheese at the moment, so I'll definitely have to try it out! Thanks for sharing it!

    I hadn't yet heard the news about Pope John Paul II!! That is such great news!

    Love the swimsuit you picked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's seriously delicious, so I'm sure you and Baby Z will enjoy it!
      I'm so pumped about JPII! What a great man.
      And thank you! :)

      Delete
  6. It's late, so I will read your links tomorrow, but I'm looking forward to them!

    That grilled cheese looks really great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks, KelleyAnnie! It is really really good.

      Delete
  7. Ummm, I need to make that sandwich! Oh my goodness. And woohoo for a swimsuit! I have yet to buy a maternity one, but I need to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sandwich is easily one of my favorites now! And best of luck finding your maternity swimsuit - I am totally pumped about having one!

      Delete