Monday, June 3, 2013

Showered With Love

+JMJ+

I mentioned on Friday that this Saturday, June 1, was the day of our baby shower! Despite how uncomfortable my body currently feels sitting in a car for 5 hours, I was more than happy to make the trip to my Indiana hometown for this celebratory event. My mom had graciously offered to throw the party and hosted it in our home which, in my opinion, ended up being perfect.

Amazing "diaper cake" that my mom and little sister
stayed up late Friday night to make & surprise me with
Because hardly any of my friends live in or around my hometown area there were several people who (not at all surprisingly) couldn't attend - but I'm so grateful for the 8 lovely ladies that did! The small number of guests made it a very intimate and relaxed gathering - and I can't help but think that the combination of hometown friends, college friends, and family made for a wonderful blend of personalities that I couldn't have meshed more beautifully if I tried. Everyone seemed so comfortable and I had a blast the entire time - whether we were sitting around eating delicious food and chatting, playing creative baby-themed games, or opening amazing gifts.

The small number of guests also made it much easier to feel like I spent quality time with everyone in attendance. Not only that, but it made it easy for guests to meet any others they didn't know - and anyone that knows me understands how much I love introducing my friends from different groups to one another! After all, life just seems easier and more complete when all the people in my life that I'm close to have met one another.

Posing with my husband (and our son!) after the party
Since my mom hosted the party it was easy for Michael to make an initial appearance and greet my friends before disappearing quietly upstairs while the women chatted, laughed, snacked, and had fun playing the games my mom had planned. Then when it was time to begin opening presents Michael came back downstairs and joined us - which was a definite perk of having the shower at the house and something we had decided last minute would be fun for him to do since the number of guests was so small (he really doesn't like being the center of a large group's attention, but as I said already - the gathering was intimate and laid back). I absolutely love that my husband was able to be there and see what we were so generously given as we unwrapped presents together. Plus, I cherish the times when Michael is able to be around my friends and they have the opportunity to get to know him a bit more since we all live so far apart these days. I'd also like to mention that even though there were only 8 guests in attendance we were seriously showered with an abundance of thoughtful gifts! I am so blessed to have such kind-hearted people in my life and can't get over how many things we were given to start us on the path of parenthood in addition to getting treated to an afternoon with these wonderful people!

This little baby has no idea how many people love
him already!!!
When I think back on this weekend all I can do is smile and reflect on how Michael, our little baby boy, and I were completely showered with love. It was evident that my mom, younger sister, and grandmother had worked tirelessly to prepare and decorate the house, the food, the games and prizes, their gifts, and everything else that goes into planning a baby shower. Clearly these people love me and our little baby to have gone to so much trouble for us and I do not take their hard work for granted one bit! One of my best friends - bless her heart - had also offered to show up early and helped my family do whatever still needed to be done to decorate and set out the food. It just astounds me that people would go to such lengths to celebrate our growing family!

After the guests headed out we proceeded to quickly clean up, reorganize and pack up all the gifts into my car (which included installing our brand new car seat!), and simply enjoy the fruits of my family's labor. We spent the entire evening relaxing, enjoying one another's company, and watching a movie that was (ironically and quite appropriately) all about fatherhood (movie review coming soon - because it was that good). After church and some additional quality time spent together the following day, Michael and I made the trek back to Michigan late Sunday afternoon.

I'm so grateful to have had such a rejuvenating and fun-filled weekend with my family and friends! My love and prayers go out to all those who celebrated with us both in person and in spirit. I truly thank God for each and every one of you!

Now I can't wait to continue preparing for our baby to arrive. :) Only 10 more weeks to go until our due date!

"Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shifting shadow. In the exercise of His will He brought us forth by the word of truth, so that we would be a kind of first fruits among His creatures."
James 1:17-18

2 comments:

  1. So true! Your son doesn't know yet how many people already love him! There were several people who couldn't be at the shower who made sure presents were there or helped with the party planning/foods, etc. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steph!! Your mama sent me an invite but I was in a wedding that day and sadly couldn't make it - otherwise I totally would have been there! Glad you had such a beautiful/fun shower!! :)

    ReplyDelete