Friday, July 19, 2013

7 Quick Takes Friday (Vol. 21)

+JMJ+


Linking up with Jen and the crew, per usual!

--- 1 ---
Oh, this week. Where do I begin?! I'll start by saying that this was simultaneously one of the busiest/most productive and the most fun weeks (as far as ordinary weeks go) I've had in awhile! Everything began on Monday when I had the great pleasure of meeting up with Patty (of Tales of Me and the Husband) for lunch. It was the first time I had ever met someone in person that I first encountered through the blogging world...and I had such a blast! I would tell you more about how awesome Patty is and how exciting the entire endeavor was, but she has already written a beautiful piece about our lunch date...so I'll let her tell you all about it. :)

--- 2 ---
This baby is adorable, so just imagine when it's OUR son instead!
Also exciting was the fact that Michael and I assembled our baby's bassinet, swing, and will soon be assembling his dresser that came in the mail yesterday. For a 36-week pregnant woman who is starting to feel the clock ticking, these events are totally noteworthy and thrilling! I cannot wait to finally put all of his washed clothing and bedding away in his little baby dresser where they belong (that's the clean freak and the "nesting" talking)...and I cannot wait to meet this little boy in 4 more (perhaps fewer?) weeks!

--- 3 ---
Michael and me. :)
At this point I'd like to give a shout-out to my wonderful husband, Michael...because he has been such a helpful, supportive husband this week (I mean he always is, but I especially noticed this week). It's the little things - like doing the majority of the bassinet and swing assembly as I sat on the couch reading him instructions (because I'm way too big at this point to comfortably or quickly maneuver around on the floor), staying calm and remaining patient with me when I got completely flustered by a few terrible assembly instructions, washing more of the dishes because he knows I'm currently pitifully slow doing most everyday things, and massaging and stretching out my calf muscle when I woke him up in the middle of the night with my pregnancy leg-cramp-induced whining - that make me so grateful to have him by my side. I seriously don't know what I'd do without him! Wo ai ni, Michael!

And in case you're curious how we met, I shared our story this week: 

How I Met My HusbandParts one, twothreefour, and five.

--- 4 ---
The fun continued on Wednesday when I finally managed to meet up with a fellow parishioner named Cynthia, who is currently in charge of our parish's "moms' group." Even though I didn't first encounter her through the blogging world like I did Patty, the result of our first meeting was quite similar; I felt like I had known her for a long time and was simply catching up with one of my good friends. If you remember my post about Forming Friendships after Marriage, you probably understand how refreshing it was to meet not one but two new people this week! And not just 'people,' but women who I genuinely relate to and could easily foster real relationships with. Thank you to all of you who read my friendship posts and said you'd pray for me to make connections like these!

--- 5 ---

Last week I mentioned the iPhone debacle that took place when Michael and I got our new phone plan. Fortunately, that has all been resolved and we managed to get a brand new Samsung Galaxy S III (the phone I actually wanted all along!) for only $40. We had to get really creative to make it all work (considering we used my upgrade to get Michael's new phone and his number isn't eligible for an upgrade for another 22 months), but God was truly on our side! I'll spare you all the details and leave you with the fact that we successfully got our new phone plan set up (I had to get a new number) and we both managed to get brand new phones at severely discounted prices. Now if I could just figure out how to stop my phone from telling me every time I get a new email or Pinterest notification, that would be great.... 

--- 6 ---

For all you pregnant ladies and/or mothers out there: red raspberry leaf teadiscuss! For real. I'm curious about who has tried this and whether or not you believe it helped shorten your labor & delivery time. A woman I know swears that her 20-minute delivery (with her first baby, no less!) is due to her drinking it starting in her 36th week. I've read very mixed reviews and haven't found solid evidence that it works or that it doesn't...but based on what I've found out I think I'd feel comfortable starting to drink it right around this time (assuming my doctor has no qualms). Any knowledge or experience you have in this department would be greatly appreciated!

--- 7 ---


If by chance you're looking to donate to a charity in the next eleven days, consider supporting this non-profit that is run by the brother of one of my fellow parishioners. They work against human trafficking and provide shelter, food, clothing, and education for many children...and are the only organization of their kind in the African region they are in. Time is running out for them to raise the funds for a much-needed anti-trafficking training program! Please spread the word and pray for them!

I hope you all have a great weekend!

2 comments:

  1. I tried the RRL tea with both of my pregnancies, and honestly I don't think it made a difference. Not for me, anyway. I think the only thing that made me have a much shorter labor the second time around (besides the fact that it was my second baby!), was a pill called 5-W that my midwives told me to take around week 37. They recommend it for mamas who have a history of long pregnancies and long labors. Well, I still had a long pregnancy-Alessandra was born at exactly 41 weeks-but I definitely had a shorter labor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is good to know! I'm honestly not too concerned because my mom told me recently that all of her labors and my sisters' labors were pretty short...but like I said, I have a friend who swears by that tea! I'm so curious to hear from people like you that have tried it. Thank you!

      Delete