Monday, July 22, 2013

Headed for the Sunshine State!

+JMJ+

Remember all those times I mentioned that my husband's work translates into "we really have to be open-minded about moving at the drop of a hat" because things are constantly evolving? Well, I'm pretty sure you can guess where this is going...


How soon, you ask? Uh, in 4 days to be exact.
How long have we known, you ask? Well, unofficially...2 days. Officially: since today.
No big deal or anything.

Honestly the project that has kept us here in Ann Arbor has gone on longer than we initially expected; we thought we'd move after only a few months of marriage but then this spring my husband was extended through the end of June. Then, halfway through June he got extended through (we thought) the end of August. Last week he discovered that his portion of the project was actually scheduled to end on August 2nd...which of course meant he wanted to find his next project either immediately or so that we could move in late August/early September when the baby is approximately a few weeks old.

Over the course of the past (almost) 10 months since we've been married I've learned huge lessons from God in letting go of control, patience, and trust in His plans for us...and I'm so thankful because it has truly allowed me to be sincerely joyful about moving at this stage in pregnancy (crazy, right?). Without God's grace I'm pretty sure I would be a 37-weeks pregnant hot mess right now. After all, packing up all your belongings and leaving the apartment you've so tediously cleaned/prepared for a new baby goes against the very fiber of any "nesting" mother's being. However, I've known this could happen so I've been forcing myself to not get too "settled" all along.

We plan to move this weekend which will put me right at 38 weeks(!) - which sounds stressful but I'm being sincere when I say that I am so very happy! It's been quite the winding road as Michael and I have constantly discerned where to go next and when over the past several months. There were a couple times we seriously thought we would be moving but God had other plans. Weird things have happened where projects have fallen through at the last minute and my husband has also turned a couple opportunities down....and we've always managed to realize (sometimes in hindsight) that these places were not where God wanted us. The biggest warning sign has usually been that something didn't feel right - which made us hesitate ever so slightly. This new project that we have accepted is different from all the rest because for the first time everything has lined up perfectly and we feel 100% at peace that this is where God is leading us. 

This entire ordeal has also made me laugh because Michael and I told ourselves that if he got an offer and contract by Friday, July 19 we would still be willing to move before the baby is born...but any later and he would simply tell any new employer that he was unavailable until the end of August. Last week we were pretty convinced we'd be here in Ann Arbor for the baby's birth...but lo and behold, God revealed His plans to us at the very last possible second! On Thursday Michael came home telling me he had an interview for Saturday morning and he got the offer Saturday. God is so sneaky like that sometimes but I truly trust in His timing and that He knows what is best for us.

Obviously I've said over and over that I'm at peace, I'm excited, and explained that because I've been praying about following God this entire time I can hardly complain that I'll be moving at 38 weeks pregnant. However, packing and moving/traveling at that point in time does make me a little nervous - not because I don't trust in God, but because I am really really really hoping His plan isn't for me to go into labor on the way! So please pray for us as we get everything ready this week - and let's hope this baby comes after we arrive at our destination.

Oh! And where is this destination, you ask?
Let me introduce you to a little place in Palm Beach County, Florida that we'll soon be calling home....


Okay, okay, so we won't actually be living on a pier at the beach...but we'll be about an hour and a half north of Miami and we will live 10-20 minutes from a few beaches. But here is what our pool supposedly looks like:


I know, right? Following God's will is such a sacrifice sometimes....

All I know is that after a winter in Ann Arbor (2 for Michael!), a winter in Chicago (when Michael drove through countless snowstorms to visit me), and an entire lifetime of Midwestern winters I think I'll find it within my heart to accept one winter without snow.

“I give you this to take with you:
Nothing remains as it was. If you know this, you can
begin again, with pure joy in the uprooting.”
-Judith Minty, Letters to My Daughters

12 comments:

  1. Amazing! Stephanie will continue to keep you three in my prayers. +JMJ ....never a dull moment! Ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the prayers, Celeste! :)

      Delete
  2. How exciting!
    It's amazing how peaceful you are about everything. It's almost as if this pregnancy has brought more acceptance of God's will into your heart. But it totally makes sense since God is transforming you into a mother. Congratulations. I'm sure Florida will be wonderful.

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great point! I hadn't even thought of it that way, but I would imagine that I'll need lots of this kind of patience and acceptance as a mother. :) God really does work in awesome, mysterious ways!

      Delete
  3. Wow, big news! People thought we got short notice with only a month! It's wonderful that you are being so peaceful about it. I wish it was a state closer to me though :-) There are a couple bloggers in Florida, but I don't know where exactly they live, but maybe you'll be close enough to meet them. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah - technically we got 2 weeks notice (he starts in early August) but we are moving after only 1 week because we want that entire 2nd week to unpack and simply be there in case the baby decides he's ready to make his appearance. I think I would be stressing WAY more if we moved at 39 weeks pregnant!

      Who knows? Maybe after Florida we'll be headed your way! :)

      Delete
  4. Oh my! What an adventure in store for you. I will keep you, Michael and baby in prayer as you prepare for the move.

    We just moved into our house about a month and a half ago. I was only 20 weeks pregnant and we were moving literally 5 minutes down the road. I can't even imagine moving across the country! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the prayers, Emily! I'm so glad you will have had a little more time to set up and prepare for your baby's arrival than we have, haha. However, I trust that God will help us and make everything work out how it should. :)

      Delete
  5. WOW!! Congrats! I will definitely pray for a smooth transition all around. :)

    And for someone who just spent her first winter in FL... it.is.AWESOME! You will love it. So many blessings for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't thank you enough for the prayers!

      I'm definitely looking forward to it. I think part of me will miss the snow...but I'll get a taste when we visit family around Christmastime anyway so I'm sure I'll get over it - and be excited to return to the sunshine and warmth! Plus, having a new baby and being able to play outdoors comfortably in the heart of winter sounds like an amazing blessing!

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness! Oh my goodness! You are a saint. You and little baby will be soaking up that suuuunnnnn! So many prayers for you!!! Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I certainly hope to become a saint one day - so perhaps staying positive and calm through crazy moves like this so late in pregnancy are one way God is helping form me on that path to heaven?? Thanks so much for the prayers! I really, REALLY want to have this baby AFTER we are moved in down there. :)

      Delete