Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Pedicures: a Pregnant Woman's Best Friend

+JMJ+

Now that I'm 35 weeks pregnant I can no longer comfortably reach my toes for any real length of time...which led me to decide I should get a pedicure. I have never been a girl that gets her nails done regularly by a salon and while I've now had manicures on a handful of occasions, the first pedicure I ever got was for my wedding (so many women are shocked by this, but I'm confident I'm not alone!).

Long story short, I've always been someone who really has to justify getting my nails done by a professional in order to feel good about it...because why pay money for something you can do yourself, right? Well at 35 weeks pregnant I officially cannot do my own toenails...which turns out to be a huge blessing in disguise because it means that I splurged and ended up treating myself to what seemed like a royal experience - for a very reasonable price, too!

My swollen feet and beautiful pedicure at 35 weeks
There really is no purpose to this post other than to acknowledge the fact that a pedicure in the third trimester of pregnancy is one of my new favorite things. I honestly would have gotten one sooner (because my swollen feet and quickly-growing toenails had been driving me crazy), but I wanted to do it when I only had about a month left so my pedicure will stay nice through our baby's due date.

But seriously. Having someone do your nails and buff, scrub, and massage your feet feels amazing when you're not pregnant...but having someone do all of those things when your feet are swollen and sore is a hundred times more amazing. Did I mention that they even used hot stones and scented lotion? They did.

Suffice it to say that I'm on cloud 9 and having an amazing Tuesday simply because I got a pedicure. It was absolutely money well spent and I'd go back in a heartbeat if pedicures didn't stay nice for so long. Call me crazy, but I'm already dreaming of taking my mom and younger sister there when the baby is born and they come visit...because beyond the basics of sleeping, eating, and showering I can't imagine what else could possibly relax a new mother more than a pedicure at this gem of a nail salon - and I would loooove to show off my son to the employees there (every single one of them was Asian and my nail tech really wanted me to bring the baby for her to see once she learned that my husband is Chinese and Korean).

Until some magical day in the future when I finally decide to spend money to have someone else do my nails again, I'm going to keep daydreaming of people giving me a fancy foot massage and sit here while I stare at my pretty nails. The end.


"I'm trying to be in the moment and really enjoy my pregnancy. I feel really lucky."

-Jewel

10 comments:

  1. Good for you, Stephanie! You deserve a pedicure :) I'm so glad it was relaxing for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you! You know it was an amazing experience when I randomly dedicate an entire blog entry to it. :P

      Delete
  2. Haha I love this! I have only gotten pedicures for special occasions, so I might just have to indulge once I am further along! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! After yesterday I firmly believe the 3rd trimester of pregnancy is every bit of a special, pedicure-worthy occasion. :)

      Delete
  3. You are absolutely not alone in your lack of professional nail doing-ness. I have had my fingernails painted by someone professionally once and a full-manicure twice. I have had one pedicure. None of these were for my wedding. After seeing how quickly nail polish on my fingers gets utterly destroyed (seriously, the next day it starts chipping--I think it's the shape of my nails or something) I decided that it was totally not worth ever painting my fingernails again. And I can't remember the last time I did--probably when I graduated from high school. I have nice nails so when I got married I just trimmed them 1 week before the wedding so they would be the perfect length on the day and went with it. I painted my own toe nails as well (they are ALWAYS painted--I have a weird thing about "naked" toenails) but I do it myself. I've never understood the mani/pedi thing and I figure if it's not something I enjoy like crazy then it's a total waste of money.

    It sounds like it's perfect for pregnancy though! I have already thought that I will need to figure something out for when I am old and unable to reach my toes :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know I'm not alone! ;) I also always have my toe nails painted! They look so odd to me when they're "naked."

      Delete
  4. Amen on the pregnant pedi! I will admit that I was a big fan of pedicures before I got pregnant because I am the absolute worst nail-painter of all time. But, something about this growing belly has made them even better. I thoroughly enjoyed the one I had last night and plan on indulging again before our little guy makes his appearance this fall :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear other women agree/understand! There's something about being pregnant that makes it sooo relaxing. :) When are you due??

      Delete
    2. I'm due the middle of October. We are so excited!
      And, I am so glad that I stumbled upon your blog. We have such similar stories - and our weddings were only 2 weeks apart!

      Delete
    3. Only a few more months to go - how exciting! Congrats on your pregnancy!!! :)

      Delete