Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Safe and Sound in Sunny Florida

+JMJ+

This past week has been quite the whirlwind! In fact, everything about my environment has changed so much so quickly that I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that we actually live here in Florida...because I keep looking around thinking we are on some heavenly vacation.

Once my husband officially signed his new work contract last Monday we kicked it into high gear with our plans to move in only 4 days. Thankfully his first day of work isn't until August 5th...but with our baby due on the 10th we wanted to move and start getting settled ASAP.

Somewhere in...Tennessee (?) on day one of traveling
Day 2 of traveling - officially 38 weeks pregnant!
It took many hours of packing (thank Goodness my mom was able to come to Michigan and help me!), several hours of driving with frequent restroom breaks for the pregnant lady (also good that my mom was there to drive my car so I could just be a passenger), and a few days of unpacking and learning our new whereabouts, but suffice it to say that we made it and are quickly making this new place our home.

Yesterday I met my new ob/gyn, today we got internet, and tomorrow we have an appointment with the new hospital so we can see where the baby will be born and can pre-register. :)

My mom also flew back to Indiana today (after helping us a lot with the packing/unpacking/moving) which leaves us the rest of the week to continue settling in, adjusting to our new place, and preparing for the baby before Michael starts his new project next week.

Exploring on our first full day in Florida
Like I said, this past week has been a whirlwind and I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that only
a few days ago we lived in Michigan. Now we're here in Florida...living near the ocean, soaking in the sun, and trying not to freak out at how much nicer and more spacious this new apartment is than our last. I'm not sure whether I should be outraged at how much of a rip-off our tiny, one bedroom/one bathroom apartment was in Ann Arbor or if I should be jumping up and down with joy at our new, 2 bedroom/2 bathroom place that has much more space and nicer...well, everything. Honestly, though, I'm just happy and feeling overwhelmingly blessed to be here.

God has been so good to us - from guiding us here, blessing us with the moving help we needed, to ensuring our safety and freedom from too much stress as we quickly went through the process of moving, starting to settle into a new place, finding a new doctor and hospital only 2 weeks before our baby's due date, and more. I cannot get over how insanely blessed we are...or how excited I am that I did not go into labor in the midst of everything.

At this point I feel confident that even if the baby arrives early, our lives will not completely turn to shambles. I'm bracing myself for the time we get to finally meet our son and our lives will forever be changed - but am thankful that we won't have to deal with moving and unpacking on top of everything else that goes hand in hand with having a newborn baby. God is truly good and knows what we need, so I trust Him to lead us and take care of us as we continue to prepare for the baby and all the joyful chaos it will bring. :)

Once our new place is unpacked enough to share photos I'll make sure to give you all a tour! But in the mean time, you can have this first glance at the outside of our building:

It's not even funny how much of an upgrade this is from our last place (for nearly the same cost). Amazing!
Ann Arbor was great and all, but I have a strong feeling that Palm Beach County is going to be quite the welcome change in scenery for the next 6(ish) months....

Thank you again to all who prayed for us and the safety of our baby as we moved! I'm so so happy we made it safe and sound and can't wait to get back to all my "nesting" as the baby's due date rapidly approaches.

“When we least expect it, life sets us a challenge to test our courage and willingness to change; at such a moment, there is no point in pretending that nothing has happened or in saying that we are not yet ready. The challenge will not wait. Life does not look back. A week is more than enough time for us to decide whether or not to accept our destiny.” 
-Paulo Coelho, The Devil and Miss Prym

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh you ended up moving!! I'm happy for the opportunity for your husband but bummed we cannot hang out again in person...praying for safe delivery and easy transition in your new home:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so grateful we were able to meet in person before we moved away! I would have LOVED to hang out more in person - and if we ever return to the area I'll make sure to let you know. :) Thanks for all the prayers!

      Delete
  2. Wow! What a crazy time! I can't imagine having to move at the very end of my pregancy so last minute like that! Lots of change in a short period of time! Exciting stuff, though! I'll be praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! You're all settled! It sounds like you did a fantastic job with this move, especially with everything else you had going on. Congrats! And yes, isn't the rent in the south just fantastic compared to northern areas? You look and sound quite happy!

    ReplyDelete