Wednesday, October 23, 2013

"In Him you have been baptized"

+JMJ+

"You have put on Christ/in Him you have been baptized/Alleluia/Alleluia!"

If you're thinking that this post is about Gabriel getting baptized...you're right! This past Sunday, October 20th, our little boy was officially welcomed into the Catholic faith when he received his first Sacrament. :)

My older sister and brother-in-law are his Godparents and we were so so excited that they (along with my precious nieces) were able to make it for the baptism! Not only were they able to make it, but so were my parents, my younger sister, and one of my grandmothers. We actually took up an entire pew! This made us very happy considering we initially doubted whether or not anyone in our family would be able to make it down to Florida for his baptismal weekend. God truly provides, I tell ya.

Not to mention, this was the first time that several family members got to meet Gabriel! Oh, it was so joyful. My heart just melted every time I saw him being doted on by his cousins - who are completely excited and smitten with their very first, little, baby cousin, by the way. :) All of this makes me look forward to Christmastime that much more - because then my husband's entire family will get to meet Gabriel as well. 

Honestly I'm at a loss for words in describing this past weekend other than to say that it was fun, joyful, and better than I could have dreamed (Michael agrees). We are so grateful to have had a wonderful weekend filled with family fun and love...so without further ado, here are a few photo highlights to help paint the picture of goodness a little bit more:







I'd also like to point out that the beautiful, white baptismal garment Gabriel is sporting was made by my sister (his Godmother). It was first worn by his cousin and we plan to have all the future cousins wear it at their baptisms as well. :) But seriously, isn't she talented?! This is the same sister that handmade ALL of our wedding favors - which were crocheted bluebirds that she turned into clothespin magnets:


Fortunately for any of you that may be interested in hand-knit or crochet items, she has a Facebook page which displays some of her past creations and allows you to request a very reasonably-priced custom order. For real. Blankets, infinity scarves, baby and toddler scarves, headbands, mug or wine cozies, rosary bracelets, Christmas stockings, hats, you name it...she probably has it (or can make it). You should probably check it out. ;)

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go pick up my little boy and breathe in that wonderful smell of chrism oil that has managed to linger on his bedtime hat (which he is currently wearing because I gave him a bath and wanted to help warm him up). 

"Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit (vitae spiritualis ianua), and the door which gives access to the other sacraments. Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons of God; we become members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church and made sharers in her mission: "Baptism is the sacrament of regeneration through water in the word.""
-Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1213

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations to baby Gabriel! What an exciting milestone! I can feel the joy radiating from all these pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a wonderful day. :) As my three year old niece put it while watching us open Gabriel's baptismal gifts, "This is a nice day, isn't it, Gabriel?" <3

      Delete
  2. Congratulations to your son becoming a little warrior. I'm proud!

    ReplyDelete