Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Gabriel: 4 Months

+JMJ+

Wow, time flies! Apparently I have taken a month-long hiatus from the blog. This is mainly due to the week of Thanksgiving (during which we traveled nearly 40 hours with a 16-week old baby - maybe I'll get around to posting about that someday), procuring Christmas gifts for family members, getting Christmas cards ready, and simply trying to be "present" to my family and my relationship with God during this Advent season. I'm very thankful that Michael and I already have all the gifts done so that we can now focus on preparing our hearts for the birth of our Lord...and some very exciting upcoming time spent with family and friends!

Anyway. This post is supposed to be all about our growing little man. :)

Gabriel is in his 18th week (EIGHTEEN! Seriously, time flies) and as of the 5th is "officially" 4 months old. I waited to post about his 4th month until he had his appointment with the pediatrician for his vaccinations and physical exam. That way I would have all his updated measurements. :)

The day before he turned 4 months old :)
Nursing

  • He is finally settling into another pattern that is more spaced out than his "every hour on the hour" nursing sessions from his newborn days. Currently he tends to eat every 2 or 2.5 hours throughout the day (sometimes going 3 hours!). This makes it much easier to get out and do things without always having to stop and nurse everywhere we go.
  • Bottle shmottle. Gabriel still prefers the real deal...but we are working on it. His Aunt Christina has already offered to let me leave him at home with her and take my nieces somewhere fun when they visit next week. Either he will take a bottle or get really hungry until I return. His choice. ;)

Nap Time
  • Gabriel used to just...fall asleep for naps. If he was tired, he slept. Easy peasy. This changed somewhere around the time he turned 3 months old and now he needs to be soothed to sleep (which consists of me bouncing, rocking, and singing or talking softly to him for anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes). When all else fails I bust out our Baby Bjorn and walk around until he conks out. This isn't too surprising, though, considering all of the cognitive developments happening around this age.
  • He takes 3-4 naps a day (3 during the daytime, one in the evening) that range from 30-60 minutes. If he is really tired he will take a long nap of 1.5 or 2 hours and only need one other nap during the day.

Bed Time
  • He is still amazing at falling asleep for the night when he is tired. We change him into PJs between 9 and 10pm (whenever he needs a diaper change during that hour or right after his bath on bath nights), he eats one more time - usually between 10 and 10:30pm and falls asleep in my arms once he is full. Then I lay him down and he stays asleep or falls back asleep on his own if he happens to wake up.
  • He "slept through the night" (baby speak translation: slept 5-7 hours in one stretch) at 7 weeks, but he definitely had that 3-month "regression." The very night I wrote his 3-month update he began waking up again during the night. For the next 3 weeks or so I readjusted to getting up 2-3 times a night.
  • A couple weeks ago he had some bad nights where he woke up 5 or 6 times, newborn style. Eventually we figured out he had begun teething (silly parents) and since then (because we got him some natural Orajel) he has started sleeping better again.
  • Currently he is back down to waking up only once...so here's to hoping he will get back to sleeping through the night again soon. :)

Bath Time
  • Still no issues here! Although we did figure out that we greatly prefer the Baby Magic Calming Baby Bath to the Baby Magic Original Baby Scent wash. The original scent makes it smell like you've smothered your child in gobs of baby powder...so if you like that kind of smell, go for it. If not, stick to the calming Lavender and Chamomile (which smells heavenly). 
  • I also just learned that it's a good thing we stopped using our Johnson's head-to-toe baby shampoo (we switched because we really like the smell of the Baby Magic calming wash) because it contains 2 potentially cancer-causing chemicals. Did you all know this?! Dioxane and Quaternium-15 release formaldehyde. You'd better believe I'll be boycotting this product until they remove them (for the record, they do make some products without these chemicals now. But not all).

Play Time
  • This is just the best. He can now aim, grab, clasp, etc. very well.
  • "Oh Mr. Sun" is still his favorite play-time song. It almost never fails to make him smile.
  • He loves having raspberries blown on his tummy, having his chest tickled, and more. He can even blow raspberries with his lips on his own now, too. Adorable! 
  • He is fascinated by any weird noise I can create with my mouth - loud kissing sounds, raspberries, tongue clicking, trilling, etc. You name it, he loves it. In fact, that's how I managed to calm him down several times on our epic Thanksgiving road trip.
  • Current favorite toys include his soccer ball rattle, monkey blanket rattle, and some plastic rings that have varying textures (especially because they are easy to grab and place in his teething mouth).
  • Tummy time is no longer his least favorite thing in the world!!! I have no idea what his least favorite thing could be now, actually. He is so happy in general.
  • He loves loves loves mirrors. Show him his reflection and he will adore himself with smiles and giggles.
  • He likes books a lot more...and even sat through me reading The Story of Ferdinand (which is quite long for a baby his age!).

Growth/Development

    • He can roll over from front to back!!! Which means all of a sudden (as of that first roll on December 3rd) he has no issues with tummy time and can happily look around/stare at himself in the mirror from that position for at least 5 minutes before he gets tired and whimpers a little bit.
    • He has outgrown all of his 0-3 month clothing except for his "3 month" onesies that are made by Carter's (which is quickly becoming my favorite baby clothing brand) and some shorts and pants.
    • We bumped him up to size 2 diapers (we use Pampers Swaddlers) a couple of weeks ago.
    • As of yesterday he weighs 13 lbs. 9 oz.!
    • He is now 25.5 inches long (over 2 feet)! This currently places him in the 60th percentile so he continues to be a "tall baby."
    • His head circumference is 16.5 inches. At yesterday's appointment his doctor commented on how pronounced and visible the blood vessels going to his brain are; I always assumed it's just because I have fair skin - which means you can easily see several of my veins. Instead, she said that his brain is obviously growing a lot and those blood vessels are working hard to keep up with feeding that growth. I don't know why, but the way she said it made me chuckle.
    • He began teething a couple weeks ago...but we didn't really figure it out until last week (right around the time he turned 4 months old). 
    • He is still amazingly vocal and often sounds like he is saying certain words like mama, mom, hey, etc. So fun.
    Needless to say, it's been a great 4 months and this is a very fun age - especially since he still likes strangers but will now always smile at and prefer his mommy and daddy. One of my favorite things every single day is when I walk into his room in the morning (once he is awake); Gabriel greets me with the biggest, happiest smiles I have ever seen. If that isn't enough to melt a mother's heart (even on those sleep-deprived mornings) I seriously don't know what is.

    "Life isn't a matter of milestones, but of moments."
    -Rose Kennedy

    3 comments:

    1. I'm so happy to see an update from you! I was wondering how everything was going. Gabriel is absolutely precious!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks, Marisa! Everything has been going well...I honestly just haven't found the time/energy to blog about it all (something I always wonder about other bloggers with babies that don't nap as much anymore - what is their secret?!). I'm really hoping to get back into the swing of things somehow because I want to make sure to write about Thanksgiving and some other fun experiences we've had with loved ones recently. Thanks again for your sweet comment. I hope you are doing well!

        Delete
    2. Gabriel is just absolutely precious! I hope you are able to REST soon! :) Glad you're back!

      ReplyDelete