Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Our Arrival and a Faithful Departed

+JMJ+

Before I go too much longer without writing much of anything I'd simply like to say: we are here! We've been at our new place in the Philadelphia suburbs for almost two weeks now. It's been one of those blurs of unpacking, getting situated, and working hard to maintain a "normal" daily routine with a teething infant that leaves me feeling like our time in Florida was somehow just last week and about two months ago all at once. Time is a funny thing, I tell ya.

It also feels like an incredibly long time since I've sat down to write...anything. Sure, I've posted Gabriel's monthly updates and a couple brief things near Christmas, but the reality is that I have been so consumed by Advent, Christmas, visits from family, visits to family, and moving 1100 miles across the country that I simply had to sacrifice some things along the way in order to be present to my family (in this case - blogging).

I'm happy to be settling into our new home and getting back into a more normal routine. Hopefully it will be one that allows me to get back into the habit of working out, having a regular "prayer time" beyond little snippets here and there, reading actual books, and more. Perhaps I'm getting a little too ambitious here, but I think it's important to my mental health to maintain as much normalcy amidst another move as possible. In my experience, moving to a new place seems like much less of a huge deal if you can unpack quickly and start doing things that make it feel like your home and help you feel like...well, you...as soon as possible. I think the craziness of the holidays followed by our move has left me feeling somewhat unlike myself for a little too long...but I'm happy to announce that that has greatly changed this week. It's amazing how much a little planning (like building in a daily time to read, establishing a consistent wake up time [that isn't based on our son], etc.) can affect my mood and overall sense of sanity.

That's really all I have to say at the moment except for one important request. Please pray for the repose of my Grammie's soul (her name is Dorothy - Dot for short). She had a rough few months with multiple falls that landed her in a rehab facility and ultimately a nursing home. Her health deteriorated rapidly and this past week she went into kidney failure. She passed away peacefully this past Saturday. All of this has been rough on my family and is certainly sad - but she would have been 90 years old this March and has lived a long life filled with 4 children, 10 grandchildren, and 7 great-grandchildren (plus one in utero that my cousin is expecting in April). I'm so grateful that Michael and I got to visit her briefly back in November and am happy that she was able to meet Gabriel. I'm saddened to think that Gabriel will be our only child to have been held by all 4 of his great-grandmothers but I also know what a rare, precious thing that is and am simply thankful he was able to have the experience. Even though he won't remember it I certainly will - and we'll make sure he sees the photos.

Now that I've shared all of that, let's end this piece with a photo that shows how happy my grandmother was. I will always remember her for her spunky attitude, funny jokes, her selfless, constant desire to feed anyone who entered her home, and her mean harmonica skills.

November 2010

"Eternal rest, grant unto her O Lord and let perpetual light shine upon her.
May she rest in peace. Amen. 
May her soul and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen."

1 comment:

  1. First, I'm very sorry for your loss. I know it feels good that she as able to meet your son.

    And welcome to the northeast! Unpacking and settling quickly is essential with frequent moves--you have to maximize that time! I'm sure you're a pro at this :-)

    ReplyDelete