Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Little Things and the Big Difference

+JMJ+

It sounds a tad cliche, but lately I've had such a sense of how the littlest things can make the Biggest difference. I know, I know. This isn't some great revelation of which the world has yet to be enlightened (hence my awareness of the cliche). However, I am also aware that at different points in my life it has mattered greatly which little things can make the Biggest difference - for better or worse.

Ever since our recent move, I cannot help but feel that small things here and there have snowballed to make a huge (positive!) impact on my daily life: how I feel, the way I think, how I interact with my husband and son, and even how I pray.

Now, don't get me wrong. I stand by what I said about us being in Florida at the right time. God had plans for us there, albeit temporarily. However, I can see now that we are in a different environment just how many little things seemed to be missing for me to be the best version of myself during our time down south. All of this makes me so grateful to begin a new chapter - with a greater awareness of what I can do and what God has done to help me find the daily joy, gratitude, and positive energy that lingers ever within my reach...if only I can (with God's help) awaken myself to it.

Thankfully, the timing of our relocation combined with several small things that I won't bother getting into have culminated into my heart being filled with constant joy. I have missed this. Believe me, I've had joy in my life (lots of it!), but that doesn't change the fact that I've been in "survival mode" and trying to feel more like my normal, happy, energized self amidst the flood of changes motherhood brought to my body, sleep schedule, daytime schedule, prayer life, desire (or lack thereof) to work out, and so many other things.


In short, I'm so grateful for all of the little blessings God has given me in this new place. These small things may have subtle appearances, but their great impact is undeniable and I find my heart feeling so refreshed. 
When we were in Florida there were so many things I wished I was doing on a regular basis (praying a morning offering, working out, reading the daily Mass readings, etc.). I struggled to find the energy, focus, or motivation to consistently put these things into action. Most of these things are simple - but while the little things in life are the easiest to do, they are also the easiest not to do. I find myself so thankful that this new place and its little (yet very Big) blessings have made such a Big difference in my heart, my energy levels, my motivation, and have given me a renewed sense of excitement and Hope for what is to come. These things have slowly been helping me do the little things in my daily life that I know make a Big difference in my overall physical, mental, spiritual, and social well-being.

Sometimes it's difficult to say whether it's recognizing little blessings or doing little things that gets this cycle going that rejuvenates my soul, but in my experience, one begets the other...so that is my game plan for attempting to keep this moving forward. A combination of recognizing (and thanking God) for all the little things He is doing for us here and doing my best to put things into action that are within my control. Regardless, this place and this time in our lives is so good and so full of Hope as we wait to see what else is to come.

How fitting that I find myself experiencing all of this during our liturgical season of Hope. When I think about the connection between the renewal and hope simultaneously happening within this Lenten season and within my own daily life I cannot help but be amazed. Yet again, His timing is beautiful and perfect.

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."
-Robert Brault

No comments:

Post a Comment