Tuesday, March 25, 2014

The Annunciation: a Favorite Feast within Our Family

+JMJ+

Fra Angelico. Source.

Happy Feast of the Annunciation! The past few days we've enjoyed the company of my dear college friend, M, who is currently on spring break from medical school (more on that another day). Because of M's visit and our surprisingly busy social calendar as of late, this beautiful feast day seemed to completely sneak up on me and catch me by surprise!

Fear not - we made sure to have our own dinner feast (including Gabriel, who managed to eat all of the baby oatmeal for the first time ever!) followed by a dessert of cookies and beer (for us - not the baby).

I just love this day.

Beyond the obvious things like, well, the actual Annunciation and the beauty and power of Mary's fiat, I love this day for another reason:

It was on this day exactly 3 years ago that I met my husband. Now, three years later we are married with a wonderful son named Gabriel. :)

Even though Michael and I didn't begin dating right away, our meeting on this date was significant (and I like to think it was no accident). As we developed our relationship and Michael encountered the Catholic faith for the first time, I/we began to understand for the first time (together) what it meant to have a Marian devotion. Despite the fact that I've been Catholic my entire life, I had only understood such devotions in theory - but never in practice. Another way of explaining this is to say that even though I always loved and venerated Mary, I understood Marian devotions with my head...but not yet my heart.

I could go on and on about the Feast of the Annunciation, the influential role Mary has played in Michael's and my relationship, and how this day has special meaning for our son (Gabriel), but the gist is simply this: I adore this day.

I adore this feast because of the significance it has had in my personal faith journey and what it has meant to our family, but I adore it all the more for what it means for Christians everywhere. To read a lovely, succinct reflection on this day and what it stands for, head over to my sister's blog. :)

Happy feasting!

"My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
my spirit rejoices in God my Savior
for he has looked with favor on his lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed:
the Almighty has done great things for me,
and holy is his Name."
-excerpt from the Magnificat

No comments:

Post a Comment