Saturday, March 8, 2014

The Buzz from SAHMs

+JMJ+

Have you all seen the recently-published Buzzfeed article about Stay-at-Home Moms yet? If you haven't, check it out:


Did you see some familiar faces?! I know I did! Obviously if you've seen the post you already know what my sign said. But just for fun, here it is again:

Do our outfits look familiar? This was the same day
Gabriel turned 7 months!

I wrote this message because most people believe that SAHMs don't contribute financially to their household. I can tell by comments I hear that SAHMs are often viewed as mothers of luxury. And to be sure, that is sometimes the case. However, that depends entirely on each family's situation - on factors such as your career field, your spouse's career field, how many young children you have, and (especially!) the cost of living and childcare in your area.

People fail to realize that sometimes it makes good financial sense for one parent to stay home with their children. For some of us, staying home may be a "luxurious" choice, but for others of us, we are simply doing what is best for our family's finances. Personally, I happen to feel extremely blessed that what I happen to love doing is supported by my husband's job and it truly saves us money based on our own unique circumstances. Like I said, it depends on several factors, but the bottom line is this:

I'd love for people to stop assuming they know what a family's situation must be (and possibly making judgments) based on whether or not one parent stays home to raise their children. :)

I'm so glad I was able to join the rest of these lovely ladies and their great messages! Many thanks to my sister, Christina (have you read her new blog? She's only been at it for a couple of weeks and I'm already more than a little obsessed with it!), for inviting me to contribute and a big thank you to Ellie (the author of the post) for giving some of us SAHMs a platform to share some fun, inspiring, witty, heartfelt, or little known messages!

"I think it's a tough road if you're a stay-at-home mom, a working mom, if you have a partner, if you don't. It's the best job in the world, and the toughest job in the world all at the same time."
-Angela Kinsey

2 comments:

  1. I loved the entire BuzzFeed post, but your picture really struck a chord. We seem to have similar family situations. Thanks for being a voice for stay at home mamas of all kinds :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily! It was a fun project to be a part of. :) I'm glad to know there are other moms who can relate!

      Delete