Thursday, April 10, 2014

Our Wedding Song

+JMJ+

I'm starting to feel a bit like a broken record over here, constantly going on and on about how our social life is so much busier here in the 'burbs of Philadelphia (and we've been here less than 3 months!), but that's because it's astonishingly (in a good way!) true.

I didn't write too much about it while we were living it - especially because we knew that it was a short-term project and would soon (hopefully) be led by the Lord to somewhere that would be a better fit for us outside of my husband's job - but now that it's a thing of the past and I can shout from the rooftops that God is blessing us in abundance in the friendship department, I have no problem saying it: our time in Florida was a social desert...unless you count the sweet elderly people smiling at us at church as something that could somehow fill this stay-at-home mom's social interaction quota for the week (for the record: it didn't. And I believe it's by the grace of God that I didn't go mental having a newborn without any family or friends around to liven up my many, many homebound days. Thank goodness for my amazing husband who made sure he got us out of the apartment even when I would have been otherwise unmotivated or tired!).

So why am I going on and on about our boring-in-Florida and now exciting-in-Pennsylvania social lives? Well, because of all the meetups we've had this week I haven't been able to blog much. I still want to recap my cousin's lovely bridal shower from Saturday and our awesome Sunday spent in the city, but that will take time that I probably don't have today.

-end longest lead-in ever here-

BUT, you know what I am confident I can crank out during my limited blogging time this morning?? A quick entry per Grace's request, who wants to know what song everyone chose for their "first dance" in her Wedding Song Dance Along link-up!

Michael and I never really had "a song" when we were dating. Whenever he would come visit me in Chicago we were always listening to music in his car. I even made him a couple of "love song" CDs for our first Valentine's Day together (a bold move because I included some songs that made it pretty clear I wanted to be his wife someday - so thankfully he proposed that weekend before he had a chance to hear the CDs!). But we really didn't have "a song." In a way, I think there was an unspoken understanding that Lifehouse had sort of become "our" band because we attended a Lifehouse concert together very early on in our relationship. But Lifehouse doesn't have a ton of songs that are very "wedding dancey" - if you know what I mean.

When it came down to it, I listened to a bunch of romantic songs then had Michael listen to them. We narrowed it down and both agreed that When You Say You Love Me by Josh Groban was perfect for us.



The funny thing is: my older sister and brother-in-law helped teach us some basic partner moves and spins and Michael and I planned out the timing in the song when we would do each dramatic move. I was so excited because it was all going to be so beautifully choreographed! Then, as we began our "first dance" for real I realized that the cap sleeves on my dress would.not.allow us to do half of the moves...unless I wanted to tear my wedding dress - which I did not.

After Michael spun me the first time and I realized how limited we would be in our movements, I quickly leaned in and told him we couldn't do the other kind of spin because of my dress. We agreed that we would change the game-plan and stick with the basic spin in place of all the fancier ones...and in a way it was kind of a relief. At that point we just kind of chuckled to ourselves, got lost in each other's gaze, and cherished that alone time together before things got busier again with our family and friends. It was just us - which made it beautiful. And our guests were none the wiser.


Photography by Brian Powell

Want to share your wedding "first dance" song, too? Head over to Grace's and join in the fun!

"You're where I belong
And when you're with me if I close my eyes,
There are times I swear I feel like I can fly
For a moment in time
Somewhere between the Heavens and Earth,
And frozen in time, Oh when you say those words

When you say you love me
The world goes still, so still inside and
When you say you love me
For a moment, there's no one else alive"
-When You Say You Love Me, Josh Groban

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear things are going so well for you in PA! Such beautiful photos of you two dancing! I may have to get in on this link-up! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you do post about yours - I love seeing other people's wedding photos/hearing their stories!

      Delete