Thursday, May 8, 2014

Five Favorites (Vol. 5): Health & Beauty

+JMJ+


I realize that nearly all of my other Five Favorites posts tend to be baby-themed...so this one is for all you ladies out there! This week I'm going to list out 5 of my favorite health and beauty products as of late. Some of them are more "affordable" than others, but I was given a nice Sephora gift card for Christmas - which gave me the funds (and the guts) to splurge a little. If these are up your alley, perhaps you mamas out there can give your husbands a little hint hint about this upcoming Mother's Day....

Oh! And I would also like to preface this with saying that my skin was always difficult to find good products for growing up. My skin was oily (though not so much now that I'm 26 and 9-months postpartum), I dealt with acne for years, and my skin is sensitive and very fair (hi, I'm Scandinavian). Any products I give a thumbs up must work with fair skin, sensitive skin, shouldn't clog my pores, and cannot feel greasy/oily. Here we go!

--- 1 ---
Givenchy Mister Light Instant Light Corrective Pen.



I am in love with this concealer made by Givenchy (Sephora, $34). I struggled to find a concealer I liked for literally years - mainly because it took me forever to spend a bit more money. In my opinion, concealer is a make-up product that delivers what you pay for. Nothing found in common drugstores ever truly concealed any blemishes, acne scars, or dark circles under my eyes. This one does and it feels great on my skin (and doesn't clog my pores!).

--- 2 ---
Givenchy Photo'Perfexion Fluid Foundation with Sunscreen.


The Givenchy Photo'Perfexion foundation is every bit as good as their concealer (Sephora, $48). I squeeze a tiny bit onto my hand then apply with a brush and it feels like I'm hardly wearing anything! The big difference is that I am wearing something and it evens out my skin tone beautifully. I had the ladies in Sephora test this out on my skin the day I bought it and when I got home Michael's response was, "Your skin looks so...even." Success! The only downfall (in my opinion) is the $48 price-tag...but it is well worth it (especially with a gift card!) considering how little of it you need at a time. It is the only foundation that has ever made my skin look this nice and  (bonus) it has an SPF 20 sunscreen.

--- 3 ---
Eucerin Daily Protection Moisturizing Face Lotion.


Perhaps I should have led with this because it's the first thing I apply out of the shower. My face gets d-r-y and itchy if I don't use a moisturizer every single day. Normal lotion (not made for the face) is too thick for me and often feels greasy. Plus, when you look for a face lotion you can find some that are non-comedogenic (read: don't clog your pores!) like this one. I've tried the Aveeno equivalent because I typically love Aveeno products, but their face moisturizer feels wayyyyy too greasy and goes on too thick for my liking. I prefer something lightweight that doesn't feel like I've applied anything - especially if I'm going to then apply make-up. This Eucerin one doesn't take very much, feels very lightweight and clean, and includes an SPF 30. One bottle found at your local drugstore (approx. $8) tends to last me 6+ months.

--- 4 ---
L'Oreal Hair Expertise EverSleek Intense Smoothing Shampoo.


Check it out. Did you know that L'Oreal now makes a line of shampoos and conditioners that are sulfate-free??? If I had to label myself when it comes to health and wellness products, I suppose I'd say I'm "semi-crunchy" (is that a thing?). I look for less harsh beauty products and prefer non-toxic cleaning products (God bless you, distilled white vinegar) whenever I can manage it without too much effort or burden. Over the years I've read about how most shampoos contain sulfates (which are actually damaging to your hair). Who wants that? I don't! But who wants to pay $30 for hippie shampoo in the organic aisle of the grocery store? Not this gal! Nor am I crunchy enough to want to deal with doing the whole "no shampoo" thing.

Cue L'Oreal. I first bought this shampoo and conditioner when it was 50% off on sale. I was hooked and have tried a few different fragrances - but this sunflower one is my personal fave. When you pay full price it's probably about double the cost of most "normal" shampoos (approx. $7) - but I'd consider it to be one of the most affordable sulfate-free shampoos out there.

Bonus: when I got a (much-needed) hair cut last week the hairdresser raved about how soft my hair was and wanted to know what shampoo I use. She also asked if I had ever dyed my hair because it looked like "virgin hair." If you knew me in college that is a huge (laughable) compliment because I dyed my hair all.the.time. Never in my life has a hairdresser asked me what product I use. When I told Michael this, he said, "Maybe it's because you're post-partum." Maybe. But at 9 months I've already shed a LOT of hair and I don't think that's it.

--- 5 --- 
bareMinerals Marvelous Moxie Lipstick.



Full disclosure: I have never loved a lipstick more than my new bareMinerals Marvelous Moxie (Sephora, $18). I was recently in the market for a lipstick that moisturizes, doesn't feather (so annoying), lasts a long time without needing reapplications, and is formulated without parabens, sulfates, or phthalates. That is a pretty tall order that very few lipsticks can fill and this was my winner! I love, love, love it and keep wearing it for every fancy occasion and plenty of not-so-fancy occasions, too. Mine is in the Call the Shots "blue red" shade as pictured here:

"Call the Shots" Marvelous Moxie lipstick

I highly recommend checking these out in person because the colors looked very different from the online images. Seeing them in person completely changed my mind on what shade I thought I wanted.

Make sure you all head over to The Rhodes Log where Kate is guest-hosting the link-up for Hallie this week if you want to see more 5 Faves! Thanks, Kate, for hosting!

6 comments:

  1. I am curious how long the foundation lasts?? That's a hefty price tag but if it lasts for a while, I am in...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good question! In terms of application, it definitely lasts all day long without needing to be reapplied. In terms of how many months the bottle lasts, I'm not quite certain. This is the first time I have had it and haven't run out yet. In fact, it doesn't even look like I've made a dent. I bought it about 6 weeks ago, I believe. It's kind of amazing to me how little of it I need to use to cover my entire face!

      Delete
  2. You really rock that red lip! I love bright lipstick, but can't seem to get used to how it looks on my face! My economy-size bottle of Pantene shampoo that's older than my marriage is finally down to the dregs and I've been reading around for a new one--I'd say semi-crunchy describes me, as well, and I like the idea of no sulfates. Thanks for sharing the L'oreal! By the way, I'd love for you to join in my wedding linkup!

    http://captivetheheart.blogspot.com/2014/05/old-new-borrowed-and-blue-linkup.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks, chica! I'd say the L'Oreal sounds perfect for you. And I think when you commented I already had my "Old, New, Borrowed, & Blue" entry sitting in the draft folder all ready to go.... lol! Wedding link-ups are some of the best.

      Delete