Monday, May 12, 2014

Mother's Day

+JMJ+

Happy (belated) Mother's Day! This holiday brings about mixed emotions for so many (depending on whether or not you're a mother, have a mother, are grieving the loss of a mother, are hoping to be a mother, or perhaps are a mother grieving a lost child, etc.), but I hope that each of your days was filled with some kind of motherly love and tenderness (and hopefully joy!). We have always celebrated Mother's Day in my family - even if it's to simply say "thank you" and "I love you" to the mothers in our lives. Speaking of which, I have a pretty great mom.

Our little family's Mother's Day was pleasant and relaxing. We began the morning with church, ate some leftovers for lunch, then got milkshakes and walked a couple of miles in the warm sunshine at a nearby park. At 80 degrees it felt refreshingly like summer!
On Saturday we visited a nearby Korean grocery store (located in one of several Korean pockets around Philadelphia) and stocked up on most of my husband's favorite things. Then, on Sunday night he cooked us a delicious Mother's Day meal of Korean BBQ (so good). After dinner we enjoyed some Korean pears for dessert (which Gabriel had the best, wide-eyed reaction to!), gave our baby a much-needed bath before his bedtime, and relaxed by watching (surprise, surprise) a Korean drama.

As a mother who celebrated Mother's Day for the first time this year (with a baby ex-utero, that is), I have so many thoughts on motherhood swirling around inside my head. However, because I'm a mom I tend to be short on blogging time...so I'll try to keep it simple:

I'm so thankful to God and my husband for making me a mother. These past 9 months (not to mention the 9 months of pregnancy before that) have taught me so much about life and motherhood. I've come to respect mothers in ways far deeper than I could possibly have imagined. Not only that, but I've discovered more of who I am now that I'm a mother. It's so obvious to me that God designed me to be a mother. I can see how He has been preparing me for it for years - and I can see how He continues to help me every step of the way. I know I still have a lot to learn about motherhood, but I'm grateful to be on this path.

I'm so thankful for God's timing. Before Michael and I got married, we told everyone we would "probably wait a year" before trying to have a baby. Thank goodness the Lord knew better and we allowed Him to work in our lives through our openness to life - because our baby boy (who was 8 weeks old on our first wedding anniversary) has increased and magnified the love in our lives in both tangible and completely intangible (yet very real) ways. I can't imagine having had to wait any longer than we did to embark on this parental journey.

Last week I sat on the floor, playing with Gabriel. Out of nowhere I heard words coming from my mouth - words that I hadn't formulated yet in my mind (which meant I wasn't 100% certain what I was about to say). "God knew how much I needed you, didn't He, Gabriel?" Never before had I vocalized this thought, but I knew immediately that it was true. Had we cut God out of the picture and not been open to His plans, we would have been sorely missing out on this little boy that God brought to us through His wisdom and timing. What a blessing his young life has been in ours.

Finally, I'm so thankful for Gabriel. Not just because he is our baby, but for who he is. Gabriel's body and soul are unique and I simply cannot imagine my life without this boy now that he is here. I'm so blessed to be his mommy.


"The most important person… on earth is a Mother. She cannot claim the honor of having built Notre Dame Cathedral. She need not. She has built something more magnificent than any cathedral – A dwelling for an immortal soul, the tiny perfection of her baby’s body. The angels have not been blessed with such a grace. 
They cannot share in God’s creative miracle to bring new souls to heaven. 
Only a human mother can. Mothers are closer to God the creator than any other creature. God joins forces with mothers in performing this act of creation… 
What on God’s good earth is more glorious than this: to be a mother?"
-Cardinal Mindszesty

3 comments:

  1. Love that pink dress. Looks lovely and comfy. My fave combination :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily! It is soooo comfy. I got it at Target a couple summers ago! :)

      Delete
  2. I knew that you were meant to be a mommy, too. You are wonderful in that role - so proud of the young woman, wife, and mother that you have become! <3

    ReplyDelete