Thursday, July 17, 2014

Having Your Shoes Forever Beside Mine

+JMJ+

Once upon a time, I mentioned that I began a Catholic moms group for our current area. That tidbit of information is neither here nor there, but considering I hosted this week's meetup at our place, I made sure to spend a little time this morning cleaning and putting random things away. As I straightened up the shoes Gabriel had just been playing with, I paused.

I had seen it in an instant. The sight of my husband's and my shoes side by side - an everyday occurrence that speaks volumes if I simply take a moment to listen.

For us, being married means a lot of things - including the fact that gone are the days of our long-distance relationship (thank Goodness!). Every single day my husband's shoes are next to mine. To know that Michael comes home to me every day and that we permanently share one roof makes me feel so blessed and grateful.


I quickly snapped the above photo and posted it on Instagram with the following caption:

"We're a couple of months away from 2 years of marriage and little things like this still make me pause and smile. I hope I never forget how beautiful it is to have this man's shoes forever beside mine."

Staring at our shoes rarely makes my heart go a-flutter, but when I see in the details of our days how together we finally are (doesn't it feel like an eternity when you're apart?) you know it makes my heart smile. In the earliest days of our marriage, I was keenly aware of these new subtleties all the time - and it's nice to be reminded every once in awhile.


"You're where I belong
And when you're with me if I close my eyes,
There are times I swear I feel like I can fly
For a moment in time
Somewhere between the Heavens and Earth,
And frozen in time, Oh when you say those words"

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your sweet thoughts. You know, my mom gave her testimony to a group of friends and she chose her talk to center around the idea of shoes. Funny topic, right? It was actually pretty cool, because she said that being a practicing Catholic meant that when you put your shoes on in the morning you understand that you have to know where they might lead you. They could lead you through the most beautiful of places, all floral and sweet. They could also lead you through some pretty intense obstacles. Maybe those days we should wear hiking boots ;) But she reminded us that they should avoid taking us to places of temptation and areas opposite of God.

    I find it pretty non-coincidental that you shared this, because as Brian and I started our premarital counseling with our local priest, he first reminded us that our duty as husband and wife is to direct one another to heaven. He told us that once we left our families, God would shift the responsibility over to us to ensure that we try our best to steer our spouse away from places of temptation.

    May we put on the right marital shoes every morning together. Maybe so that we can both walk together towards God and away from temptation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right - that's no coincidence. God seems to be working in awesome ways in your life as you and Brian prepare for marriage! I'll keep you both in my prayers during this special time. :)

      Delete