Friday, August 15, 2014

Another Use for Coconut Oil: Curing Styes

+JMJ+

Coconut oil first popped up on my radar a little under 2 years ago. Prior to that I don't think I'd really heard of it or knew anything about it. Since then, it seems to have taken the (internet and/or crunchy) world by storm and one can hardly read any blogs these days without some mention of coconut oil - whether it's for cooking, health, beauty, or a variety of other everyday purposes.

Coconut oil can be used for so many things that whenever I wonder "what is a natural way to do ___?" I find myself looking up whether or not coconut oil can tackle the chore (and more often than not it can). At this point it probably sounds as if I use coconut oil for everything - but I actually don't. I've found a few very practical ways to use it in my everyday life and stuck to those over the past year and a half (baby steps).

My favorite daily way to use coconut oil is as a natural eye make-up remover. All I do is scoop a tiny (seriously - teeny tiny!) bit onto a tissue and gently rub it across my eyelids and around my eye. Just like that, my eyes are looking fresh. However, that's not actually what I wanted to share with you all today; instead, I wanted to share something I accidentally stumbled upon by using coconut oil around my eyes: you can use it to prevent and/or cure a stye!


Have you ever had a stye? They're awful. For those of you that have been blessed to never experience one firsthand: it's basically a clogged oil duct on your eyelid that causes a red, uncomfortable, often itchy bump to form. My college town is notoriously beautiful (it is an official Tree City after all), but it's no secret that B-town's beauty comes hand in hand with some wicked pollen that can (apparently) cause people that don't even have allergies to develop some. I learned this the hard way when my eyes became perpetually irritated towards the end of my freshman year. When I went home that summer I saw my eye doctor - who informed me that my eyes were experiencing an allergic reaction as they adjusted to Bloomington's pollen (awesome). He told me about Zaditor (which is an OTC eye drop that is amazing) and all the redness and irritation cleared up within a few days. When I returned for my sophomore year, my eyes became irritated again and I developed no fewer than three styes that fall...at one time. After that I became painstakingly diligent about always removing eye make-up and still wound up with about one stye a year while I lived there (everything else about Bloomington makes it more than worth it).

It's truly a shame I didn't know about coconut oil back then. Doctors almost always diagnose a stye and tell you that you simply have to "wait it out" and apply some heat compresses to ease the pain in the mean time. They tell you there is no cure other than time.

Thankfully I haven't had a stye in a long time...but a couple months ago I felt that all-too-familiar sensation of something constantly poking my eye every time I blinked. I knew that a stye was forming and I think I avoided examining it in the mirror on purpose - hoping beyond hope that it would miraculously disappear on its own. One night, I mustered up some courage, looked at the stye forming on my eyelid, and made sure to remove every last bit of my eye make-up with my usual coconut oil routine.

Imagine my delight when I awoke the next morning and every single trace of that stye was gone. Completely gone. No bump, no redness, no feeling like something was stabbing my eye each time I would blink. At first I was completely baffled. What happened?! But then I remembered that the only thing I had done was clean my eyelid with coconut oil.

Immediately I hopped online to search whether or not coconut oil can heal styes - and I think you already know the answer by now but...it can. And it did. And I have been bursting with new-found love for coconut oil ever since. So the next time you feel a stye coming on, instead of letting it naturally run its painful course, try going the other natural route by wiping your eyelids with coconut oil. Thank you, Mother Nature!

"I'm very inspired by nature - you could say Mother Nature. I look at things around me and get all kinds of inspiration daily."
-Martha Stewart

11 comments:

  1. Awesome! I've had terrible eye issues in the past, but come to think of it, they did start clearing up about the time I religiously started using coconut oil. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid to try it, but I'm going to anyway! I have a wicked stye and I look like the friggin hunchback of Notre dame!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you all the best! It's honestly the only natural/home remedy I've ever seen shorten the duration of any of my styes. I hope it brings you quick relief like it did for me!

      Delete
  3. Did you put the coconut oil on the inside or outside of your eyelid?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had one on my right eye which, before googling it, I popped; now I have one on my left eye too. So....doing tea bag compresses with Tumeric, apple cider vinegar and coconut oil on the lid. I've had this thing 3 weeks now.....going to see a doctor in two weeks. Mine doesn't bother me, no itching but I have a bit of blurry vision in that eye. Lets see what the CO will do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trying it right as I speak. So how many days did you have your stye before using coconut oil? Mine has been 3 days and doesn't seem to be getting better. It feels like it has gotten worse than before. So I'm gonna try to coconut oil to see if I get any relief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't recall the exact number of days I felt it developing before I used the coconut oil, but I think it was 2 or 3. Good luck!

      Delete
  6. I am treating a stye with warm compresses and some coconut oil. I noticed that using ground cloves and turmeric with some other spice, cause more irritation to my eye. So if I could find liquid forms of the spices, it might work better. For now, I stick with the coconut oil and warm wate;r compress. My optometrist recommends taking krill or other fish oil supplements to keep tear glands in good shape.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy to find this post! My eye started hurting last week on vacation, so I switched contacts out, and I just realized 2 days ago I have a stye! I took out my contacts and it's starting to get better, but not fast enough!!! I'm walking around with glasses, no makeup and a skunk stripe (I'm way overdue for a color to cover my grays). I'm going to grab some coconut oil and speed up this process!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My sin has 4 styes (or would that be one stye with 4 heads? IDK...either way, he's not a happy 6 year old) and the warm compresses aren't doing anything for him, so I'm going to try this and some green tea bags. I really hope it helps. Poor kiddo.

    ReplyDelete