Tuesday, October 28, 2014

What I Learned When My Husband Was in Colorado

+JMJ+

After our day trip to Baltimore, Michael had to travel to Colorado for week. He was gone for the entire work week, Monday-Friday. Now, considering that we move to wherever his current project is, this was a new experience for us. He has never had to travel anywhere else for his job since we've been married...and we certainly hadn't spent this long apart since Gabriel was born.

In essence, the week was bound to make me feel like a single mother...but without a job to do beyond the walls of our home. Have you ever stayed at home with your child 24/7 for multiple days in a row - without your spouse's help in the evenings or their much-needed conversation and company at the time of day when you could use it most? If so, you know how lonely it can be...and how easy it might be to lose one's sanity.


From Michael's adventures in Colorado

Thankfully, I was blessed with a beautiful week. It could have left me lonely, craving conversation that isn't one-sided, overwhelmed, and two shakes away from losing it completely. But it didn't.

Before Michael left, I posted a status on our Facebook page explaining that he would be gone and I could use some people to hang out with. Lo and behold, a handful of local friends (and even some that aren't local!) offered to spend time with us and/or talk on the phone if I needed to.

Through the sincere efforts of friends and by the grace of God, my social calendar quickly filled up. I had play-dates or outings every morning and made lots of plans to have friends over for dinner or to spend time together in the late afternoons/evenings. Some of my single friends even offered to come hang out one night after Gabriel was already in bed for the night.

Everything about that week left me constantly thanking God for the community we have been blessed with here. I caught myself thinking more than once about what would have happened if Michael had been whisked away when we were first married and I was pregnant in Michigan - or worse, when we were in Florida with a brand-new baby to care for. Honestly I think I would have had to go with him for the week or traveled somewhere to be with family...because despite our best efforts, we simply lacked the kind of social support network that we have found here.

Michael and I have said over and over again that this place has been such a refreshing, much-needed change for our social lives and overall sanity (especially for me as a stay-at-home mom!). We haven't lived here as long as we did in Michigan, yet we have more friends and a better network of support here than we did in Michigan and Florida combined.

That week I was shown in tangible ways just how greatly we've been blessed here in the friendship department. Seriously. The Catholic moms' group I started and the local young adult group for Catholics have been invaluable in our daily lives here. Not only that, but I trusted that God would carry us through the week and He did just that. It could have been a week that dragged, but I honestly had a lot of fun.

Additionally, it gave us a taste of what it's like for most of Michael's co-workers - the ones that don't move to the project and travel back home on weekends to see their families. We were confident entering into marriage that we wouldn't be following that path if we could avoid it - that we would stick together, no matter where it took us...and boy, was that the right decision for our family. I'm so grateful to constantly have my husband by my side, helping me raise our little boy and supporting me along the way.

My heart truly goes out to all the military wives and mothers married to men who travel for whatever reason. In my joy I found myself constantly praying for those who are often forced to be apart from one another - and hope that you will take a moment to do so, too.


“What should young people do with their lives today? Many things, obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured.” 
-Kurt Vonnegut, Palm Sunday: An Autobiographical Collage

No comments:

Post a Comment