Tuesday, November 11, 2014

A Sock Monkey Goes Trick-or-Treating

+JMJ+

Happy Veterans Day! May God bless all the men and women who have served and continue to serve our blessed nation. +St. Martin of Tours, pray for us+

It's taken me awhile, but I've finally compiled the best of the best Halloween photos from Gabriel's first time trick-or-treating!

First, here are the links to look back at Gabriel's very first Halloween when we dressed him as Winnie the Pooh. Secondly, here's a little peek at this year's costume inspiration and the costume itself:

Left to right: Gabriel's sock monkey and comfort object, costume front, costume back (it's hard to see, but there is a tail!).

Originally we wanted to dress him as a different character, but it would have required me to make a costume from scratch...which needless to say, I was not up for this year. Perhaps I can work on some of my domestic, crafty skills this year and get ready to create costumes for future Halloweens...but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

In mid-October, I began searching for baby/toddler costumes that were cute and affordable, which led me to this fantastic sock monkey costume. As soon as I found it and saw that it was only $10, I knew the search was over and my husband readily agreed. We began introducing Gabriel's sock monkey blanket as a comfort object when he turned one (as part of the weaning process - something I'll write about later, I'm sure). Ever since then, he has been making monkey sounds - long before he uttered his first word (which happened 10 days before Halloween when he was 14.5 months old). To top it off, his first word was none other than "nah-nah" which means...you guessed it: banana. Imagine a little boy obsessed with his sock monkey toy making monkey sounds and running around asking for bananas all day long and try and tell me this costume wasn't perfect for him. :)

On Halloween night we joined a couple of my friends from my Catholic moms' group (and their husbands and children, of course) to take the children trick-or-treating. There were 4 little boys in our three families ages 16 months, 14 months, and two under 6 months. My friend Lillian's son was one of the babies who clearly couldn't gather candy for himself, but he was dressed as a monk and had a little box they labeled "alms" that people happily tossed candy in all evening. Clever and adorable to boot!

My favorite photo from the evening! Gabriel and his friends: a sock monkey, a monk, Pooh Bear, and Tigger

My friend who hosted us all in her neighborhood managed to score a two-seater wagon for Gabriel and his friend dressed as Tigger - and they had so much fun being pulled down the street! It made me smile to hear them squealing in delight and pointing at all the decorations and older children in costume.

After collecting some candy with his daddy

Everyone was especially in awe as we visited THE best-decorated house in the whole neighborhood. Their entire lawn was filled with all the things one could possibly associate with Halloween - complete with abundant lights, robotic displays that danced or moved and/or played music, and smoke machines. We made sure to take our time walking by as we admired the intricate details of their elaborate display (and of course all the boys were amazed).

This photo only depicts about half of their lawn display!

Once we made our way back to our friends' house we all relaxed and enjoyed hot chocolate, which is apparently a sweet tradition my friend has always done with her family each year after trick-or-treating (we just might take that and add it to our own, growing list of traditions...). Then, of course, we scoped out what goodies the boys had collected because we had zero plans to give our 14-month old any of the candy he received (I know! So mean...except that Gabriel has no idea what he missed out on and he couldn't eat over half of what he was given anyway). Because I can't handle sweet things at this point in the pregnancy, Michael made out like a bandit.

Even though Gabriel couldn't enjoy the candy this year, he had such a blast riding in the wagon, walking up to all the doorsteps, and staring at all the people and lights. With all that excitement, who needs candy? ;) Next year he is in for a REAL treat when he'll experience trick-or-treating and getting to eat some candy all in the same night! It's going to be so much fun.


"There is a child in every one of us who is still a trick-or-treater looking for a brightly-lit front porch."

-Robert Brault

2 comments:

  1. I love the background behind his costume! That is too sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adorable costume idea, and of course I love seeing Gabriel with my favorite nephew. ;) That hot chocolate idea is genius. I might have to adopt that tradition too!

    ReplyDelete