Tuesday, November 4, 2014

On Smelling Powers & Pickles

+JMJ+

Now that the online world is caught up with the latest and greatest happenings in our family life, I'll probably be sharing a lot more thoughts about pregnancy - aren't you glad?

Lately I've been pondering lamenting the fact that I'm at that stage of pregnancy when I have super smelling powers. Trust me, it sounds greater than it is. Far greater.

Honestly, I do not remember being this sensitive to smells the last time around. Which makes me wonder...did I just block it out? Was it the same as this time around and I conveniently let that slip from my memory (kind of like the female power to forget about labor and delivery long enough to set yourself up for another one)? Or...dare I ask the other question it brings to my mind? If I am more sensitive to smells this time could it mean we're having a girl? 

These are just a sampling of the endless thoughts a pregnant woman has in the first trimester.

But really. Are you able to detect that your husband somehow got his hands on a grape-flavored Jolly Rancher and decided to eat it during your trip to the grocery store...when he's standing at least a few feet away from you down the aisle? Quite unfortunately, I am. Blegh.

Or how about this weird one (which totally grosses me out): can you smell the hint of left-over/old dairy subtly wafting from the spoons you fed your child cottage cheese with - when they have been thoroughly rinsed, are placed inside the dishwasher, the dishwasher is closed, and you find yourself standing in front of the dishwasher eating a pickle (which should completely overpower any other smells, right?!)??? Gross.

I could go on and on about the nasty things I've been able to smell that have made my stomach churn, but you'd probably prefer that I didn't. Instead, I'll simply take this opportunity (which could be an entire blog entry in and of itself) to say that pickles are officially God's gift to me during this pregnancy. Of course they have no calories and hardly contribute to the nutrition in my diet, but if they never fail to keep any queasiness at bay then, by golly, they're a blessing I wouldn't know how to live without right now.

Thankfully, this time around has been much smoother with figuring out what I can eat during the first trimester. Last time I remember feeling that for weeks (literally) I had no idea what I could stomach. Granted, I never got morning sickness like many women, but food aversions were out in full force and I was often left feeling hungry but overwhelmingly frustrated that everything seemed to make me feel ill. It took a long time for me to get in a groove of eating foods that didn't make me feel sick just thinking about them.

This time I've had a better handle on understanding what kinds of foods I have strong aversions to/make me feel queasy and, in turn, which foods I can eat to help the queasiness subside. Once again I cannot handle much meat or anything sweet - but unlike last time, I can barely handle the sweetness of fruit, so in addition to things that are bland, salty or somewhat sour foods have been my friends. Pickles take it to a whole new level, though. Sometimes I eat something I think I can handle, only to be left with an aftertaste that is far too sweet or upsetting in some way. Solution? Eat a pickle. Problem: I feel queasy right before bed but am not hungry. Solution? Eat a pickle. Zero calories with all the powers to make my stomach feel well again with only a few bites.

So there you have it. Super smelling powers are terrible, but pickles are a gift sent straight from God Himself. All things considered, I'm feeling really well...and am seriously thankful for pickles. Did I say that yet? :)

For those of you that are/have been pregnant, what food aversions did you have in the first trimester (or beyond)? What helped to soothe your stomach? Inquiring minds want to know!

"Pregnancy is the happiest reason ever for feeling like crap."
-Anonymous

4 comments:

  1. Tonic with lime was a life-saver for me during my first pregnancy, when I was literally starving and probably should have gone to the hospital. Also, I don't usually (read: ever) do this, but with this one I had to buy bottles of spring water because the smell of our tap water -and- the smell of our cups after being washed were both triggers for me. And I think focusing on that actually helped because spring water has natural magnesium in it, which supposedly helps with nausea and smell sensitivity. Also, carry around a pack of gum that you like the smell of. I had to ride the subway during pregnancy number one and having that to pull out and smell saved me from puking dozens of times in front of lots of strangers. +Praying for you!+

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex used to call it the Super Sniffer. I never found the "talent" as funny as he did...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize that you had announced your pregnancy! Congratulations Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved kosher dills! Could eat them anytime - and with any other food group!

    ReplyDelete