Tuesday, January 13, 2015

27.

+JMJ+

Well, the joke's on me. I thought I could jump back into blogging last week when I wrote my piece about being alive and well here near Boston...and then I got hit with a wicked sore throat that turned into a nasty cough, which landed me with all the glorious congestion and typical zombie-like symptoms of a head cold. So really I haven't been very well after all - until today, that is (thank the Lord!).

For those of you that have no idea what it's like to have a cold when you're pregnant, count your blessings. And if you've been sick while pregnant with your first child - meaning you don't actually have to care for another human being throughout your sickness - count those blessings, too. I know it can always be worse and that far more people have it tougher than me, but I think I deserve a little credit for hanging in there, making sure my son's diapers were regularly changed, and for the fact that he was well-fed and cared for with the help of only one or two more (okay, maybe three...just one time) episodes of Blue's Clues than normal. AND I managed to get through our godson's baptism without hacking up a lung or sneezing my sinuses out (if that were possible, of course). All in all, I think I came out of it pretty well.

With that being said, I feel like I have a lot to catch up on. So before we get too far into 2015, I'm going to jump back in time and recap some highlights from the end of 2014. First topic at hand? My birthday!

Do you remember how my husband was scheduled to go back to Colorado for two weeks of work in December? Well, not only did he accept his next position with the Boston job that week while he was away (which sent me into packing and moving mode when he wasn't even in the same state!), but it also meant that he would be gone on my birthday. :(

Fortunately, he was able to come home on the weekend (which was an immense help with getting moving supplies and setting me up for overall packing success) so that Sunday (the day before my actual birthday) we celebrated by going to brunch with our friend, B, at our favorite local breakfast place.

Since Michael was in Colorado on my real birthday, I made plans for about 10 of our friends to come over after dinner so my pregnancy hormones wouldn't end up making me feel totally lame and lonely (because I know how that would have gone down and I'm sure it would have ended with some tears). And you know what? Despite the fact that my husband was out of state, I was pregnant and watching Gabriel by myself, and I was busy packing and organizing all of our moving logistics, I had a seriously happy birthday! Why? Well, firstly because of God's grace (duh). Secondly because we were blessed with some truly amazing friends during our time in Philly.

I had told my friends everything would be low-key (because, hi, we were getting ready to move) and that I simply wanted their company, but of course they went above and beyond. I anticipated that perhaps they might bring a dessert to share, but I never could guessed that one friend would bring freshly-baked brownies, another would bring an entire cheese and cracker spread, and yet another would show up with a home-baked pie and ice cream from one of the most delicious homemade ice cream shops I've ever been to...! Not only that, but some of these people gave me additional presents. Like gift cards, Catholic mom books, and adorable clothes for baby #2. I sincerely didn't expect anything of the sort and had no idea it was coming. These friends were just SO good to me and we had a blast sitting around talking after Gabriel went to bed.

Over and over and over again the Lord has reminded me how good He has been to us - especially with the community we found in Pennsylvania. How fortunate that I could celebrate with them shortly before we moved away!

Sadly, I didn't think to take a single photo the entire evening, so instead I thought it would be fun to include these pictures from a handful of recent birthdays. Are you ready for this?

What a fun day! My entire immediate family came to my college town so we could
go wine tasting together. My big sis stayed that night to celebrate with my friends
and me. Betcha never would have guessed that this was taken BEFORE
we headed out to the bars. 100% sober and ridiculous.
Out with friends in my college town.
A laid-back evening with my little sis (my 5th year, her junior year).
Celebrating in Chicago (during my year of volunteer service) with my man.
Oops! No photos from this year either because I was in the
first trimester with Gabriel and fighting a cold.
But these are the roses Michael gave me. :)
That time we lived in Florida. Warmest birthday EVER for this December baby.

Can we talk about how Michael has been a part of my life for my last four birthdays already? And how we've been married for the last three?! Time flies when you're having fun. What a shame that I didn't get a photo from my 27th! It was loads of fun all the same, but I'll just have to get a photo with TWO babies on my 28th to make up for it. ;)


"There are three hundred and sixty-four days when you might get un-birthday presents, and only one for birthday presents, you know."
-Lewis Carroll

No comments:

Post a Comment