Thursday, September 24, 2015

The Long and Short of It

+JMJ+

Whew! What a weekend we have planned! Tomorrow we will be journeying to Philadelphia for the World Meeting of Families where we have plans to participate in the Festival of Families and (of course!) attend the Papal Mass on the parkway with Pope Francis. This week has had me thinking and/or stressing non-stop about logistics and checking off lots of "to-do" list items, so I thought I'd take a little break and share something that takes very little mental processing whatsoever: my new hair cut!

I mentioned it once before, but leaving my hair long/not allowing myself to chop it all off during my pregnancy with Peter really helped me feel more like myself throughout those 9 months. For me, personally, I've realized that having longer hair as my face fills out helps me focus less on how I look as I gain pregnancy weight and still feel kinda-sorta stylish by having enough hair to do braids, buns, or simply just wear my hair down (because, hello, pregnancy hair is real...and notorious for being gorgeous).

I like to think that my long locks helped me rock the pregnancy hair pretty well (and if you disagree I'd be perfectly content not to have my little bubble burst). However, I hadn't had it properly trimmed since right before our trip to Hawaii (yikes, I know), I'm not pregnant anymore, and the summer heat finally got to me. The hair needed to go.

Long story short (see what I did there?), here are some photos:


That view from the back is cringe-worthy at best. Which is why I'm so happy to share with you that it now looks like this:


Just looking at those comparison photos makes me breathe a sigh of relief that I got that situation taken care of. First world problems, I know.

I'm also happy to report that the woman who cut my hair seemed incredibly skilled and helped me achieve the actual side-swept bangs I love but hadn't had for about 5(!) years. Because my hair had been SO long and without bangs for awhile it took a few days for the bangs to "settle" into their proper place...but here they are a few days later looking exactly how I wanted them to be:


Hooray for hair stylists that know what they're doing! Hooray for feeling nearly 12 inches (yes, you read that right) of hair lighter! And hooray for having a hair cut that does not get in the way at all when nursing an infant!

Sometimes it's the simple things in life, y'all. 

And a BIG HOORAY for our upcoming pilgrimage to Philadelphia! Please keep us in your prayers and let me know any prayer intentions I can offer up for you as I pray AT MASS WITH THE POPE!


"A woman who cuts her hair is about to change her life."
-Coco Chanel

4 comments:

  1. love the haircut! I am loving my long locks too... but I already started seeing the breastfeeding hair loss.... I am gonna push it till I cannot handle the long locks no more! haha...

    Have so much fun this weekend. I am so jealous. Someday, sometime. I will see this Pope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks, Sarah! I feel you on the postpartum hair loss - I'm sure that will begin happening any day for me!

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous!! My hair is SO long right now and it desperately needs to be cut. I'm pretty sure it hasn't be cut since like...February! But, like you, I am really enjoying the length and ability to do side braids or whatever, so I don't think I want to go short on length, just fix things up a bit. It's definitely on my agenda for when we visit home in a few weeks (yeah, I moved here 3 years ago and never found someone I trusted to cut my hair). Again though, you so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I understand about not trusting new people with your hair. It can be a really big deal! I'm so grateful I found someone I really like this time around. I hadn't done anything since February either, lol. Best of luck with your trim!

      Delete