Wednesday, January 20, 2016

(Another) Doctor in the House!

+JMJ+

Y'all may remember that my husband's sister graduated from medical school about 2.5 years ago, and I'm very proud and excited to say that we officially have another doctor (of a different sort) in the family! Hooray!

I didn't mention it in my October recap because I felt that such BIG family news deserved more than just a small mention among a list of other highlights, but shortly before Halloween my sister's husband successfully defended his thesis (in Mechanical Engineering) and presented his work, "Mixed-integer convex optimization for planning aggressive motions of legged robots over rough terrain."

In other words: he sure knows a LOT about making legged robots move. In fact, some of you long-time readers may recall my posts about the DARPA Robotics Challenge his lab competed in (you know, the ones about the Real Life Terminator and Team MIT competing in the finals?).

Shortly thereafter, my brother-in-law celebrated his 30th birthday and began his new job in early November, so my sister threw an epic birthday/graduation party at their new house.

Here are my boys, ready to celebrate their uncle and all of the significant 2015 milestones in his life:


Truly, my sister and her husband had a LOT to celebrate come November! And naturally, she rocked hosting a festive party for many of their friends and family members. She even tied in an apropos robotics theme for all of the decorations. Check it out:

My sister and the distinguished Doctor (and birthday boy) himself
My sister's mother-in-law (did you follow that?) always brings the most delicious cake to their parties
Nbd - my sister only made that banner by hand
In order to create less chaos, she set up this coloring station in my nieces' room (instead of the playroom). Brilliant!

A couple of months later, Gabriel still sometimes talks about his "blue birthday hat."


And can we just take a moment to note that my sister and her husband's parties are never short on food or drink? Whenever I need party food ideas or recipes, let's just say I know who to call....

There were even juice boxes and fun finger foods (and dip!) for the kids

In the last 6(ish) years, my sister and brother-in-law got married, completed Masters degrees from prestigious schools and programs (both of them - not just him), and have birthed and been raising 3 marvelous children (while living in a less-than-700-square-foot apartment on MIT's campus). Respect.

In the past 6 months alone they bought a house, he successfully completed his PhD, and began his non-academic/working career...all before they were 30. If that doesn't make for an epic 30th birthday party, I seriously don't know what does.

Cheers to you guys! I'm so grateful we live down the road and could help witness and celebrate such a big moment in your lives!


“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.” 
-Dr. Seuss, Oh, The Places You'll Go!

3 comments:

  1. I'm just going to hire you to keep track of all of my family's memories. This is beautiful and so great to have!! Thank you for capturing this. :) And thanks for being my awesome sister and supporting me through everything!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That food looks AMAZING and those are certainly some huge accomplishments to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete