Sunday, May 8, 2016

Celebrating Motherhood

+JMJ+

What a week. The boys got hit with a mysterious 2.5 day fever and it rained for at least 4 days straight. Being cooped up with whiny little sickies doesn't exactly bring out the best mother in me, BUT I was given so many chances to try again. To be more patient. To apologize when the crying and whining from the stubborn toddler with self-inflicted hunger loses his cool and I lose mine, too. To be kind or present or playful when I am just so tired from the sick baby waking me 5 times at night. To ask the Lord for help. 

And here we are. 


Some (all) of us are still tired, but we made it through. The boys still know they are fiercely loved and both of them still fight to climb into my lap at the same time. This is what motherhood looks like for me right now and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

In honor of Mother's Day, I would like to take a moment to recognize and honor that motherhood can take many forms - some of which are invisible to the naked eye. This day brings a mixed bag of emotions for women as some cope with the loss of a mother, the loss of a child, feeling overwhelmed by their abundant fertility, or longing to know what it feels like to have a baby to call their own. I think Simcha Fisher got it right with her advice for priests on this secular holiday when she said, 

"I really do think you can thread the Mother’s Day needle without getting poked if you offer something like the following blessing before the end of Mass: 
On this Mother’s Day in May, which is Mary’s month, we remember that our Blessed Mother was honored above every other human being besides Jesus Himself when she was asked by God to bear His Son. We ask God’s blessing on all women, because all women, no matter what their state in life, are specially privileged to bring Christ into the world. Mary is our model in joy and in suffering, in trust and in sorrow. We ask Mary to intercede for our earthly mothers and for all the women who cared for us, and we ask the Holy Spirit to increase our love so that we will always honor the women in our lives. We ask this through Christ Our Lord. Amen."

While I'm at it, I might as well give Michael a little shout-out when I say: thank God for the man behind the above photo who lovingly protects and provides for us every step of the way! Your love has helped me become more wholly myself than I ever was before I became a mother.

May you all have a blessed Mother's Day! 

"To be a mother is a great treasure. Mothers, in their unconditional and sacrificial love for their children, are the antidote to individualism; they are the greatest enemies against war."
-Pope Francis

No comments:

Post a Comment