Friday, May 19, 2017

3 Generations & a Mother's Day Away

+JMJ+

Since I was away at Franciscan University for my sister's commencement (shout out to my husband for taking care of the kids all weekend!), I had a rare Mother's Day. I was able to shower, get ready, attend Mass, and eat food without first taking care of or planning around the needs of others. Speaking honestly, it was a pretty weird experience for this mama of two boys ages 3 and under.

However, it was also a lovely opportunity to spend more time with my sister, my mom, and my grandmother before flying home that afternoon.

Our morning began with Mass at the campus chapel; since it was my first time visiting Franciscan I was grateful to be able to go to church there and experience a bit of what my sister does on a regular basis. Then, we headed to a restaurant to enjoy a Mother's Day brunch.

The food was good, but the company itself made it a pleasant, one-of-a-kind Mother's Day experience for me. After all, how many of you that are married with young children typically get to spend the day with your mother and grandmother who all live in separate, far-off states (without taking care of your kids to boot)??

Pretty soon it was time to head to the airport, but before saying goodbye we made sure to commemorate the occasion with plentiful photographic evidence.

My little sis and me with our mom

With our grandmother

Three generations of moms!

What transpired next was the craziest of circumstances, which my grandmother immediately proclaimed "is a God thing!" You see, my mom, grandma, and I traveled to the airport together since we all rode in my mom's rental car. Their flights were later than mine, and even though my grandma had the same airline as me we said our goodbyes when I checked my bag - because at 89 years young she deserves to be wheeled to her destination.

So, after I got through security I texted my mom my terminal and gate number (D78). She immediately responded with "D79." I stared at her text, confused for a moment before I realized what was going on. Despite having a completely different airline and being in a large airport we had gates right across from one another! 

My mom and I quickly met up and as we approached my gate together who do you think we saw??? None other than my grandmother, who was patiently sitting in an airport wheelchair at MY gate - because her flight was the one AFTER mine that departed from the same place.

Truly, I had never experienced anything quite like this. 



So, I enjoyed the remainder of my time at the airport unexpectedly hanging out with my family.

Even with all the travel it was a nice way to spend the day. I got to celebrate 3 generations of motherhood within my family and I couldn't help but appreciate having a little breather from my darling boys and just focus on the child that was with me.


The following day would mark 18 weeks of pregnancy. The whole weekend I was feeling filled with hopeful anticipation about who this little baby is (A 3rd boy? A first girl?) because the big anatomy scan ultrasound was coming up and I felt so eager and excited by the prospect of soon discovering something so wonderful!

Then, returning home to greetings of warm, little boy hugs and kisses was the perfect way to end the day.


I know that I am so blessed to have these sweet children. At times it is chaotic, messy, and downright exhausting...but I honestly wouldn't trade all that for the world. The gift of motherhood and this crazy life are so complicated, but even when it's bitter it remains assuredly sweet. 

To those of you who experienced sorrow on this Mother's Day, you were held especially in my prayers. And to all of you fulfilling motherly roles, God bless you. The world needs your gifts and love more than you can imagine.

"What can you do to promote world peace? Go home and love your family."
-Saint Teresa of Calcutta

3 comments:

  1. So beautiful and so blessed to spend that time with you!��

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great story!
    also.. that dress is perfect on you. Good luck on your anatomy scan. maybe first GIRL!

    ReplyDelete