Monday, May 8, 2017

Peter: One Year

+JMJ+

Our dear Peter is rapidly approaching his second birthday, so I thought I would get around to finally reflecting on his first birthday (only a year later...whoops).

Back in 2015 we had been living in the suburbs of Boston for about 5 months when we were blessed to hold Peter Matthias in our arms for the very first time! He arrived just a couple days before his official due date and June 2nd has forever since held a special place in our hearts.


A year seemingly passed in the blink of an eye and before I knew it his first birthday had arrived!*


I know this post is belated, but the sentiment remains the same: Happy birthday, Peter Matthias! We love you more than words can say.


From the very beginning, Peter was referred to as a happy baby by e-v-e-r-y-o-n-e he met and it didn't take long for the people close to us to begin marveling at just how "chill" he was. It is truly remarkable that Peter very, very rarely cried as a baby (I'm not making this up! People were constantly in awe of this fact). 


Instead of crying, when Peter was little and needed to nurse or get a new diaper he would start kicking around making little grunting noises, which he would continue to do for at least 5-10 minutes before ever working up to a single cry. For that reason he was able to sleep in Michael's and my bedroom the entire first year of his life - because in his earliest months I could barely hear him through a monitor! 


I have several friends that had a rough time transitioning from one to two children, but Peter's patient, undemanding personality (the two nicknames I had for him that first year of life were "Peter baby" and "patient Peter") made our transition to a family of 4 relatively smooth. The fact that he could always wait a few minutes for most things helped me maintain my sanity when I had a 22-month-old and a newborn needing me around the clock, which just goes to show that God knows what He is doing when He creates each child uniquely for our family. 


As Peter grew and his personality further emerged, it didn't take long for us to discover what a little goofball he could be! Once his mobility improved we also realized how adventurous he is and he started getting into all kinds of things we never needed to worry about much with his brother.


In keeping with his adventurous spirit, by 9 months Peter proved himself to be quite the little foodie. He loves food and it's such a relief to us as parents to have a child that willingly eats nearly everything we give him. Italian, Chinese, Korean, Indian, Mexican, you name it - he likes to eat it. Before we had Peter I listened to my husband's stories about him eating bowls of noodles as a baby with skepticism, but now I completely see how that could be true! In this way, he really takes after his daddy.


The year positively flew by and I'm so thankful that I snapped thousands of photos, because so much evolves and unfolds in that first year of a child's life.

The Lord never ceases to amaze me, especially when I think back on how harmoniously Peter joined our family because I can barely comprehend how we ever lived without him. Our home would feel incomplete without his jolly, husky giggle fits or the countless moments every single day that I sit back and marvel at the sweet nature of my boys' brotherhood.


Peter baby, we adore you. I love the way you are content to go exploring and play all by yourself (when you're not following your brother around, soaking up every word or demonstration he gives you), yet you make sure to eagerly crawl into my lap to periodically give me the biggest, tightest hugs.

Truly, your role within our family and this great, big world is exclusive and irreplaceable. I cannot wait to see what the Lord has in store for you as you grow older; please know that your daddy and I love you and pray for you now and always. 

And just for fun, at 12 months:
  • Weight: 19.9 lbs.
  • Height: 29.5 inches
  • Head Circumference: 46 cm/18.1 inches


"As soon as I saw you, I knew a grand adventure was about to happen."
-Winnie the Pooh (A.A. Milne)

*All of the photos in this post that were taken on Peter's first birthday are credited to Stephanie Chichester.

No comments:

Post a Comment