Wednesday, August 9, 2017

An Odyssey of Sorts

+JMJ+

It's been a pretty epic week around these parts! Not only did our oldest child turn 4 years old (more on that later!), but we hosted my mom, my sister and brother-in-law, and their kids for 3 days. Plus, our friends had a baptism and after-party for their littlest which means we had lots of celebrating to do in just a few short days. Then, as our busy, happy, full house weekend came to a close and we said our goodbyes to my family we rolled right into the next big excitement of the week when we got our new van!!!

Honestly, I had been looking forward to this event for a long time (and not just because we purchased the van about 5 weeks ago and had to wait for it to arrive locally). I'm not one of those women that begrudgingly avoids the mom-van as long as possible; instead, I think part of me has been eagerly anticipating an eventual van purchase since my earliest days of motherhood! And I've definitely been looking forward to it ever since Peter (our second child) was born because those were the days when my compact car started feeling more than a bit crowded on road trips....

So, shortly after we settled and bought our house my husband and I agreed that - regardless of having a third child yet or not - 2017 would be: "the year of the van." Then, of course, we were blessed with our daughter which solidified that decision and even (baby)bumped up our timeline a bit.

Seriously elated to cruise my 3 kiddos around town in our glorious, new swagger wagon :D

On the surface this photo makes me look like any other suburban mom of multiple children - super excited for the convenience of automatic sliding doors, a trunk that can actually fit more than one large piece of baby gear and luggage, and not having to hunch over and practically crawl inside the vehicle to buckle my children safely into their car seats.... I assure you that I am THRILLED about all of those things (no shame!), but this photo my husband captured yesterday represents so much more.

You see, despite our plans to purchase a van in 2017 there was a brief period of time when my husband and I questioned that decision. We knew that we wanted to have a van, but back when we first began test driving and seriously making plans to purchase one our world was temporarily turned upside down when we discovered our daughter's prenatal diagnosis.

Long story short, we had to evaluate what made the most sense for our family financially and practically speaking in light of so many possible unknowns about our daughter's situation. I will never forget the moment when my husband, Michael, matter-of-factly pointed out what had become painfully obvious to us in those earliest days of researching and processing our daughter's prenatal diagnosis - that perhaps it would make more sense to lease a van instead of buying...because there was suddenly a possibility that our daughter might not be with us long.

Honestly, I cannot explain what it is like to a) be informed of how likely it is for your baby to be stillborn or die shortly after birth or b) have to make family decisions with that information in mind...so I will just let you imagine. If you think it's absolutely heartbreaking, your imagination is probably on the right track.

Tomorrow marks 12 weeks since we got rushed to Duke perinatal for an emergency high-risk ultrasound and it sounds too simple and somewhat cheesy, but we have lived a lot of life in these 12 weeks. 

Thankfully, we've been able to monitor our baby's progress and we (along with all our medical staff) have a better (and ever-increasing) grasp on our daughter's specific situation. In my mind, the worst possible outcome would be stillbirth...but at this point I'm fairly confident that won't happen to us. After all, her condition is being monitored and still appears isolated which, despite the extreme severity of swelling and pressure on her brain, gives us every reason to believe she will have a healthy (C-section) birth without additional complications. Yes, she will need surgery within 24 hours, but our incredibly knowledgeable pediatric neurosurgeon will do everything in his power to ensure she is delivered at the right gestational age to give her the best possible outcome; in our meeting he was extremely confident that she will be born in need of an immediate shunt but should be healthy otherwise. It's everything after her birth that remains uncertain, but at least we feel more and more confident about what to expect in her first 48 hours or so.

So, amidst all of this Michael and I did not hesitate to purchase - not lease - our van. It would be easy to live in fear, but we are not afraid. We have been covered in prayer these past 3 months and I trust that y'all will continue praying in the months to come. The faith that we have in the Lord to take care of us (no matter what happens) combined with the confidence we have in our medical care and facilities leaves us feeling like we are in the best possible place for our daughter (and us).

We are travelling an uncommon journey, but at least now we'll be riding in serious comfort and style. ;)

"Even his griefs are a joy long after to one that remembers all that he wrought and endured."
-Homer, The Odyssey

1 comment:

  1. Yay for a new van!!!! I'm wildly jealous - even though this will only be our second kiddo. :p Also: I love how beautifully you put that you're living with faith and trust and not in fear. <3
    xox, giedre

    ReplyDelete